The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Emanage on a VVTI BPU car?

merckx

After fitting my AEM A/F gauge it's apparent that it's running a little rich, at 1.2 bar it's showing 10:1 which I now know is the AEM's min displayable value.

Is it possible to fit an Emanage Blue to a VVTI to lean off the mixture at high boost levels, or are there other solutions?

What's actually involved , would I need to just fit the MAP sensor with an injector harness or do I need the ignition harness too?

Can a technically competent person (such as myself :D ) with no mapping experience manage to do the mapping themselves or would it be best to get someone else to do it?

Thanks, any advice appreciated.

10:1 at 1.2bar is more than OEM rich. I don't think even the vvti's overfuel that much.

My BPU runs 11.5:1 at 1.3bar and that's with a Mines ecu geared up for more fuel at high load. I think you may have something else amiss that needs attention.

Do you have a non stock fuel pressure regulator?

10:1 at 1.2bar is more than OEM rich. I don't think even the vvti's overfuel that much.

Oh yes they do.

I've bought a PowerEnterprise CanCom to play with to help this situation. Not had chance to set it up properly yet though.

Obviously not as comprehensive as a piggy back or ECU swap, but it they're no where near as expensive.

Not so sure about the VVTI but most BPU Supras go 10. AFRs even into the 9s at 1 - 1.2 bar then if there flowing enough air they will start to lean out again over 1.2 bar, EMB or EMU would be fine for what you have in mind,tweaking it is not rocket science, if you have a basic grasp of how a fueling map works, the ultimate would allow you to feed a simulated AFR signal into it so you can log the results, but i would advocate an Innovate LM-1 as the data logging software makes a much easier task of finding out just how much and where to adjust the fueling, oh and the greedy pressure sensor is useful for getting more accuracy over 1 bar, although the std sensor will provide resolution for 1.2 just.

Oh yes they do.

So all normal bpu vvti's (decat and exhaust) will all be running 10:1 at 1.2bar?

What the hell do they run at 1.0bar then as the fuelling at 1.0bar must be the same as 1.2bar unless the airflow sensor is calibrated for airflow figures found when running above 1.0bar. Maybe the MAF has an advantage over the J spec MAP sensor and actually has some idea of what's going on at 1.0bar+

Edit: One of our bpu vvti's will be on the rollers again shortly but when I last had a wideband in the one it was not 10:1 above 1.1bar. I'll try to find some excel plots to check but may have to wait to RR time to double check.

If they do run that rich normally(!) then maybe worth asking Alex about his car as he had an Emanage on that with his single. He might be able to help you out with install/mapping advice.

So all normal bpu vvti's (decat and exhaust) will all be running 10:1 at 1.2bar?

Obviously not see easy to stare at whilst driving flat out! Maybe I could setup the VidCam to illustrate this.

All I can tell you is that at WOT my AFR shoots round to 10 and stays there until it reaches (almost) 1.2 bar. It doesn't actually display lower numbers than that, so gawd knows what it goes to.

Only other experience I have first hand is many people and tuners telling me how they run extremely rich. Last I heard Frasier, (the ex MD of Motec guru and high international demand mapper) has a standard VVTi as a project he's mapping to see how much better he can get one to run properly.

When it went to Western Performance on the RR you could see the AFRs as a flat line virtually.

After fitting my AEM A/F gauge it's apparent that it's running a little rich, at 1.2 bar it's showing 10:1 which I now know is the AEM's min displayable value.

Is it possible to fit an Emanage Blue to a VVTI to lean off the mixture at high boost levels, or are there other solutions?

What's actually involved , would I need to just fit the MAP sensor with an injector harness or do I need the ignition harness too?

Can a technically competent person (such as myself :D ) with no mapping experience manage to do the mapping themselves or would it be best to get someone else to do it?

Thanks, any advice appreciated.

Get the whole kit...Ian's found a few spings of det on BPU'ers that can be dialed out with the ignition harness.

1x Field Harness

1x EMB or EMU

1x full compliment of harnesses...

If you're not happy doing wiring I expect someone like Matt H would wire up the harness correctly...just remind him it's MAF based ;)

A wire from the AFR sensor can be hooked into the EMB/EMU for datalogging. This is very handy.

Once it's all fitted leave it zero'd and take a trip to Norwich ;) :D

Thanks everyone, very helpful. :)

Get the whole kit...Ian's found a few spings of det on BPU'ers that can be dialed out with the ignition harness.

1x Field Harness

1x EMB or EMU

1x full compliment of harnesses...

If you're not happy doing wiring I expect someone like Matt H would wire up the harness correctly...just remind him it's MAF based ;)

A wire from the AFR sensor can be hooked into the EMB/EMU for datalogging. This is very handy.

Once it's all fitted leave it zero'd and take a trip to Norwich ;) :D

Thanks Alex! :thumbs:

I'll get one ordered.

From what I've read after doing a lot of searching the man at Norwich is definately the person to do it! :)

Is it that much better?

I better start saving. :)

The added features of the EMU are definitely worth the slightly higher price. When you compare the price difference of the 2 complete setups, it's less than £100 more for the EMU.