The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rear subframe probs? (APRIL FOOLS!!!)

Ian C

If there was a UK/ euro spec one, surely they must of brought a Jap spec over and decided ok this isnt working right for over here, hence the changes?

I dont know, just throwing some logic in there. :)

No they'd do it in Germany...the UK/US/Euro spec changes could be best tested there...where TTE is based and where they have Autobahns and the Nurbergring....

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No they'd do it in Germany...the UK/US/Euro spec changes could be best tested there...where TTE is based and where they have Autobahns and the Nurbergring....

you could well be right, we dont know for definate they did that back then and to be honest doubt we ever will. I just think the guy should be given a chance. Everything he has said so far ties with faults we have known etc... and its good to get an inside knowledge of its faults. :)

you could well be right, we dont know for definate they did that back then and to be honest doubt we ever will. I just think the guy should be given a chance. Everything he has said so far ties with faults we have known etc... and its good to get an inside knowledge of its faults. :)

We are giving him a chance...but when questioned he threw his toys out of the pram, as per normal every one who dares question some n00b is branded a bully.

Get real you lot! Maybe there's a fault, maybe there's not.

According to CW, maybe it can be fixed. According to Bob, it might not be worth it.

So what?!?! Nothing's be proven either way.

You lot probably all got terrified over BSE, bird flu, the millenium bug and autism caused by MMR, and they were all empty issues too.

Anybody who's been involved in OEM development will understand where Bob's coming from.

Some issues seen in development are seen again during production, some never reappear, as the failure was a result of unrealistically harsh test conditions.

Some issues come to light during production that were never seen in development.

Assuming Bob's telling the truth about his experiences (and there's no evidence to the contrary) this could be a development only issue which never materialises during normal use.

There could also have been tweeks to the body manufacturing process / material which have reduced the potential for this failure.

Just because we don't see any problems now doesn't mean there weren't problems seen in development.

Hopefully we'll never find out that Bob's right.

Anybody who's been involved in OEM development will understand where Bob's coming from.

Some issues seen in development are seen again during production, some never reappear, as the failure was a result of unrealistically harsh test conditions.

Some issues come to light during production that were never seen in development.

Assuming Bob's telling the truth about his experiences (and there's no evidence to the contrary) this could be a development only issue which never materialises during normal use.

There could also have been tweeks to the body manufacturing process / material which have reduced the potential for this failure.

Just because we don't see any problems now doesn't mean there weren't problems seen in development.

Lots of things sound right lots of things, wrong...that's all we were trying to do, seperate the wheat from the chaff...it's A) nothing personal B) not because we can't believe there is a weak point and want to brush it under the carpet and C) if he had some sort of evidence, or someone knew him it would be easier to digest.

I managed to get my car on a set of ramps the other day and had a good ol look under the car, mainly at the rear subframe, i looked at the bolts on the underneath and what they are bolted to and i cannot see any fatigue or damage or cracking or anything to worry about (my car is 12 years old)....i think this is a lot of "here say" and no evidence to back it up....im sure this would of happened by now if it were to at least to someone on this or another forum and it would go around supra owners like wildfire !!

Im not gonna worry, im gonna replace my bushes all round as this is one thing i did find that needed doing hehe.

But bob if your right (which i hope your not) thanks for bringing it to our attention :thumbs:

I haven't bothered posting in this until now, but I've been around here for almost as long as Ian and I've seen some of the 'experts' that have come on here to bestow on us the 'benefit' of their wealth of knowledge.

Apart from the rear subframe thing, he hasn't said one thing that we haven't heard before. ALL that he has said can be found by someone who has a passing interest in finding out about the MKIV and a bit of time to look around the 'net. The ONE thing he has given us that is new is, as I said the rear subframe info. But when asked about some info regarding how this happened and to explain one or two things, he's followed the now tried and trusted (not to mention well-worn!) path of 'ooh this is just causing bad feelings - please lock this thread - sorry I mentioned it.'

I'm not saying whether he's right or wrong, genuine expert or a troll. But his behaviour in the face of searching questions is somewhat familiar.

Bob, how about some details of where you worked? Where testing was carried out? Anything that would REALLY take inside knowledge? Might just help your case here mate.

Bob, how about some details of where you worked? Where testing was carried out? Anything that would REALLY take inside knowledge? Might just help your case here mate.

What, something like if I wanted to prove that I had worked on the 90Ps tdi Ford Focus stage 3 development programme and was responsible for the driveability and performance feel I'd say that I carried out most of the development work on CP3 prototype vehicles based at Dunton research centre in Essex and did the final driveability tuning and management drive on 1PP's at Lommel Proving ground in Belgium with Mike Kenhard and Gareth Roberts (email grob****@ford.com). Supervisor was Bill Shepherd and manager Bill Carnochan....... Something like that???

You won't see fatigue by just looking, a sample(s) from the area and remote areas would have to be cut out and compared metallurgically for it to be apparetn - but if it was going to fail at 15 years (however many stress cycles that is equivalent to is very variable from car to car) it would be very obvious under a microscope at anything over 10 years. I think chronologically is the wrong way to be looking at this anyway

Well SOME people wanted this thread locking because some OTHER person has been PMing them threatening to leave the board already, and yet I just can't seem to find the "lock thread" key haha

-Ian

Hope you find that "Lock Thread" Key soon ;)

:D

A well written, mature, and sensible relpy.

Well SOME people wanted this thread locking because some OTHER person has been PMing them threatening to leave the board already, and yet I just can't seem to find the "lock thread" key haha

-Ian

Because of this, Ian's lack of sense and complete lack of maturity over this matter in the public eye and in the moderators section we have had no option but to remove him as a moderator and ban him subject to review when we can contact him in private. Ian - please answer your phone and talk to one of us!

Our view as Moderators is unified in that Bob is a valuable asset to the club and we will not tolerate this kind of vindictive attitude and behaviour towards him. Bob has been in talks with JB and myself privately and is somewhat upset over this entire situation. It would be nice if members didn't treat him unjustly and remember his status in the club as someone with a deep insight that can be of help and service to us all.

This thread will now be locked.

Cheers,

Brian.

I should also add that I have been in various discussions with Ian about how to handle this and they got quite heated. Ian is mapping my car at the moment and he said I would get it back with a special map if I didnt start appreciating his input. I asked for clarification on this and he said I would have to wait and see.

I asked if that was a threat and he said it was whatever I wanted it to be.

So I have agreed to the ban. I will be asking for my car back and will be putting it elsewhere for mapping.

Not how I expected this to end up.

JB