Rear subframe probs? (APRIL FOOLS!!!)

Ian C

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It s perfectly feasable just too many variables to put a time scale or even a mileage limit on it. A quick metallurgical examination of the "affected" area from a written off car would be worth looking at

That's a good idea mate!

We could do Toyota's work for them :blink:

If Jezzybabes has written off shells of various milage cars maybe the areas could be inspected, or even cut out & tested vs a newish one ???

If it is fatigue failure it will be based on many things, including power and how it is applied, how often at high loading etc but it must be area that can be reinforced. Don't think making the "system" more rigid would help, in fact would prob make it worse. Hopefully CW will have a view on this

I wouldn't worry about it, I see a LOT of MKIV's and have never seen one with any bodyshell cracks around the subframe mounts. Rust and intimate contact with hard objects will probably kill the MKIV's before this becomes a problem. If it isn't broken, don't fix it. These long term testings often take place over pave and with full loads, blah blah, and mega mileages. A good body man can weld up / reinforce / repair/ recreate almost anything to better than original spec anyway. if somone made it, it can be repaired / remade, if you have a mind to, and a suitable budget.

There was a guy at the local pub last year with a vintage Bugatti, there was hardly a single part that wasn't new, including all major castings and engine internals, the chassis, suspenison components and 90% of the coachwork.

Start worrying when someone posts photos of the rear bodyshell cracked around the subframe mounts :) I was thinking of buying an R32 GTR a few years ago, it had a full weld in cage and was used as an endurance race car. The shell had a crack right over the transmission tunnel, and a few around the rear subframe mounts. But it had done LOADS of 24 hour races and had endured an increbily hard life. the owner said the cracks had been there for 2 years and had never propogated any further. (I didn't buy it....;))

I wouldn't worry about it, I see a LOT of MKIV's and have never seen one with any bodyshell cracks around the subframe mounts.

Cool! :thumbs:

Well, if people can keep an eye out for them, then we'll know if the problem is likely to rear its ugly head ;)

I suppose the best time to look at high milage ones is when the rear subframe is off or they are broken for spares.

LMAO at the fact you all believed this guy, he stated basic facts that can be found out when researching the supra, what has he told us that has not been stated already other than the sup is a waiting time bomb?

I think a few of ya can smell the bsh%t already, great pisstake though fella loving your style!;)

Sorry if folks think I'm taking the piss. I was asked to share info on this so I did. I really am not too bothered whether you believe me or not but I do draw the line at being called an outright liar :(

I'm not saying these failures are guaranteed, just what I expect to happen, with evidence garnered from my work and personal experience of these cars.

Mods could you please lock this thread as it's only causing bad feeling and dragging my name through the mud :(

Bob.

If Jezzybabes has written off shells of various milage cars maybe the areas could be inspected, or even cut out & tested vs a newish one ???

Funny you say that. After reading this thread earlier, i inspected every chassis i have. 15 of them ranging from 1000 miles, to 190000 miles. I have ones cut in half, quarters cut off showing the internal bracing of the chassis rails, eveything. Nowt wrong as far as i could see. :search: Wind up leading to April 1st? :D

Sorry Bob, but there is little or no evidence in the real world.

This site thrives on real data/evidence.

Without it we're bound to question the validity of a statement.

:yeahthat:

Y'see, Bob, as someone pointed out already, you've not really given us much more than what can be found on this site anyway, and you aren't exactly the first person to waltz on here with claims of big knowledge whereas really it's just our own hard work copied. And then, predictably, you come out with some big fat flaw that means our cars are rubbish in general, or perhaps somewhat inferior to your chosen marque. Seen it all before I'm afraid, and frankly I'm completely sick of it. I see in 3 or 4 days you haven't backed up your claims in the slightest, oh what a suprise.

However I kicked off a discussion about this whole business in the mods section and apparently I don't know what I'm talking about and you are a "valid and vital club member" so stick around and feel free to say whatever you like :rolleyes:

-Ian

However I kicked off a discussion about this whole business in the mods section and apparently I don't know what I'm talking about and you are a "valid and vital club member" so stick around and feel free to say whatever you like :rolleyes:
Ian, mods talk should stay in the mods section. You know that.

Anyway, we didn't say you don't know what you're talking about, we simply pointed out he might know more than you! :)

Ian, mods talk should stay in the mods section. You know that.

Mmm. And technical talk should stay in technical as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, we didn't say you don't know what you're talking about, we simply pointed out he might know more than you! :)

I'm sure he does - when it comes to aluminium fabrication (and other fabrication ;) ) but I just get the arse with all this - if you'd been around as long as some of us had you'd know what I meant.

-Ian

Ack Ian put your dummy back in the pram - we still wub j00 :dummy:

I've been around a long while so I hardly think that reference is fair- give Bob a fair chance. You asked him to share some information and he shared it and got lynched into the bargain - I can see why he may want to detach himself from the situation!

Cheers,

Brian.

Love the way you all rush to the defence of a n00b when he's challenged by an established tech head to come up with some data...

Though there are some more aggressive (or blunt comments) at the end of the day, "Bob" has said a load of stuff which could be of interest...but then again we don't actually have any proof he is who he says he is...

And furthermore, why on earth would there be a test team in the UK? Toyota wouldn't develop their flagship Supra here! They might employ a driver at say Millbrook proving ground, but that's it.

And furthermore, why on earth would there be a test team in the UK? Toyota wouldn't develop the Supra here!

If there was a UK/ euro spec one, surely they must of brought a Jap spec over and decided ok this isnt working right for over here, hence the changes?

I dont know, just throwing some logic in there. :)