Ian C

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To answer Ian and others,

We had a target number of operational hours for each test mule. Of these operational hours, we worked out an average in real world conditions that each component or part of the vehicle would see X, Y or Z stress levels. We concentrated on the Z stress loading, Z being full operational load. Testing was done on the real road and non manned simulated testing was also completed on test 'rolling road' rigs which were fully motorised and servo'd to mimic driving over different surfaces, corners etc.

Retro fitting a non LSD would alleviate the situation, yes.

Extra welding was implemented to extend the floorpan and chassis life in this area beyond any warranty period and potential legal liability period - that being 12+ years. Further durability testing after the modifications put the lifespan to 15+ years which was more than expected, so quite a result, really.

Any further welding in that area just moved the point of fatigue failure to a non-reinforced section. By increasing the size of the rails and mounting areas the issue could have been removed entirely, but if you recall, the design brief for the JZA-80 was to be as light as possible. So around 16kg was saved by simply increasing the weld thickness rather than the subframe mounting point size. Management figured that a 15 or so year lifespan was an acceptable tradeoff for keeping the weight down.

Bob.

p.s. I'm really really sorry to have brought this into the open :( Please forgive me! I think I'll just not talk about my time with Toyota anymore.

p.s. I'm really really sorry to have brought this into the open :( Please forgive me! I think I'll just not talk about my time with Toyota anymore.

I wouldn't apologise, info like this is great to find out... means things can be looked at rather than someone randomly dropping a subframe on the road...

Im glad you told me my car is due for pending doom :D in all seriousness its interesting to hear about these things, it doesn't bother me in the slightest that this issue can happen.

One thing though put a warning at the top of your posts if you have any more cans to open about the shortcomings of the Supra :p

I am really surprised that we have not heard of this before. As I understand it, this problem allegedly is more likely to be apparent on the JDM cars rather than European or US models. The figure of 15 years is suggested for a car operating at stock power levels. Accord to this new information significant increases in power would would accelerate the fatigue and significantly reduce the time scale in which the failure could occur. Our Japanese friends certainly like to up the power of their cars. Some came to this country with mods still in place others, were returned to stock, many of these had tell tale signs of modification if you knew where to look. Certainly a significant number would have brought potential failure into a time scale in single figures.

Compared to stock cars, a number of imports have had a very hard life before being used on UK roads, therefore accelerating the suggested fatigue. Given the history of some of our cars there will be a signifiant number that have gone well past their sell by date. Yet as far as I am aware, not one single owner has reported any such failure. Given the serious horse power being achieved by US owners, I would have thought that we would have seen quite a few videos of this happening on drag strips in the states. Yet as far as I am aware there has been not one. I would have thought that 1500hp cars would be leaving there rear sub frames at the lights by now.

Is it just me, or does this sound like the biggest heap of bullshit I've ever heard? Can't believe everyone's taking this as gospel because some guy on the internet who claims he used to work for Toyota said so! It's on the internet, it must be true! :rolleyes:

If it's the act of driving the car that causes the wear and eventual failure, you can't possible quote the failure rate in years, only miles. You could do 20,000 miles in 15 years, or 400,000!

What a coincidence they'll start failing after 15 years. Hmmm 1993 + 15 years = 2008. That's next year! :shock:

This from a guy who claims to have driven 1 million miles in a mkiv. That's 8 hours a day at 100mph, 5 days a week for 5 years! :rolleyes:

Oh, and he's mentioned Soarer's already...

To misquote Aliens, "did IQs suddenly drop around here?"

Or is this leading up to April 1st?

:looney:

p.s. I'm off to rip my LSD out...

Is it just me, or does this sound like the biggest heap of bullshit I've ever heard? Can't believe everyone's taking this as gospel because some guy on the internet who claims he used to work for Toyota said so! It's on the internet, it must be true! :rolleyes:

If it's the act of driving the car that causes the wear and eventual failure, you can't possible quote the failure rate in years, only miles. You could do 20,000 miles in 15 years, or 400,000!

What a coincidence they'll start failing after 15 years. Hmmm 1993 + 15 years = 2008. That's next year! :shock:

This from a guy who claims to have driven 1 million miles in a mkiv. That's 8 hours a day at 100mph, 5 days a week for 5 years! :rolleyes:

Good point, it does seem strange. After all the effort Mawby put into the "hacking" of the site last year it does make you think! Maybe some more known faults will spring up in the next few days.

No, the man is talking sense.

As an ex-employee of a major manufacturer & having worked on the durability side of testing I can say that what he is saying is very plausible & I for one believe him.

But what I'm not sure about is this 15 years thing.

Mule (development) vehicles are biult in various levels, from application prototypes (hand built & cobbled together) to conformation prototypes (off first tooling or prototype tooling) and finally production prototypes (off the production tooling before production starts).

I have seen many mule vehicles enconter problems that did not actually occur in the final production vehicles, for all kind of reasons.

Also test methods for accelerated durability are carried out at proving grounds where driving conditions are 'simulated' i.e for body & suspension durability the cars are driven all day over set courses that include a section or badly pot holed road, rough cobbles, step sections on both sides and kerbs. They are driven at a set speed over this course continually for a set number of hours (cycles) until they pass the required number of cycles, or until something fails.

Components (or entire vehicles or part of vehicle) are also tested on huge 4 poster test rigs where the body attached to the bed plate and massive hydraulic rams pound at the suspension day & night.

Once the fleet of vehicles and component tests all pass the required number of hours/cycles or whatever then that aspect of the vehicle is signed off for production.

Any compromises have to be justified by the engineering team and approved by management (who don't like paying more $ for anything more than they have to).

These tests are calculated from real world failures, and every model of car built that passes these tests is then monitored out in the real world for in service failures. If there are more than the 'acceptable' number of failures then the standard of the tests is increased..... so they should account for all in service use. But the opposite isn't always true. i.e. if a failure is seen during these tests and the final production vehicle design changed and then re-tested to ensure that it passes this 'abuse' testing, it doesn't necessarily mean that it would have failed in the real world in the first place!!!

So, althought the testing would indicate that there is a 15 year lifespan of the rear subframe shell mounting points, these may not actually materialise.

I'd suggest a wait and see approach, and some method of inspecting the failure area for signs of fatigue an immenent or future failure?