FMIC or SMIC with Do-Luck Front Bumper

b.weeks

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They feel quite soft and bend under pressure - not crumbling as such, just buckling.

Depending on the degree this sounds normal - In which case might I suggest that it prob works OK and doesn't need changing...

When they really just disintegrate under finger pressure is prob time...

Mikey - I'm running a standard front bumper with a GReddy 3-Row, although I do have the facelift plastic divider removed.

Seems fine like this and whilst not properly ducted is very tight / flush fitting. As I've said, the car felt noticeably perkier and I've had no overheating issues. Then again, I'm a bit 'against the grain' with my coolant as I use waterless drag special exotic Evans NPG+ coolant which should be helping.

Cheers,

Brian.

Mikey - I'm running a standard front bumper with a GReddy 3-Row, although I do have the facelift plastic divider removed.

Seems fine like this and whilst not properly ducted is very tight / flush fitting. As I've said, the car felt noticeably perkier and I've had no overheating issues. Then again, I'm a bit 'against the grain' with my coolant as I use waterless drag special exotic Evans NPG+ coolant which should be helping.

Cheers,

Brian.

Is there any part of the core blocked of cool air though ie the top, and hows the fitting pipe wise? do they need any adjusting?

Is there any part of the core blocked of cool air though ie the top, and hows the fitting pipe wise? do they need any adjusting?

Yeah a small part of the top is not exposed. The piping was fine - no adjustment necessary and I'm running a standard airbox.

Both the SMIC and the rad look in acceptable condition Ben.

We did actually trial front mounted intercoolers in the early development of the Supra, albeit with a side mounted rad to go with it! There wasn't a lot in it between the two in 400PS trim but that was comparing to the 400ps trim beefier SMIC which was later cut when the car was detuned to approx 320ps spec shortly before production. So we went with the conventional setup of front mounted rad and SMIC as the production costs were significantly lower - plenty of cores to choose from for both these items but we'd have needed to go bespoke for the other way round.

From my experience, a FMIC should give a good gain if you are running a higher boost level than standard. The same goes for a better SMIC because really you just need more cooling area to accomodate more air being present in the IC at any given time under load. With either, cooling will have to be properly addressed and monitored because you are putting more thermal stress on the motor.

Bob.

With regards to ducting - has anyone considered a FMIC and then use the duct that was originally for the SMIC to pass up to the air filter, or even extend the air filter downwards so it sits infront of the duct itself where the SMIC would sit?

Both the SMIC and the rad look in acceptable condition Ben.

We did actually trial front mounted intercoolers in the early development of the Supra, albeit with a side mounted rad to go with it! There wasn't a lot in it between the two in 400PS trim but that was comparing to the 400ps trim beefier SMIC which was later cut when the car was detuned to approx 320ps spec shortly before production. So we went with the conventional setup of front mounted rad and SMIC as the production costs were significantly lower - plenty of cores to choose from for both these items but we'd have needed to go bespoke for the other way round.

From my experience, a FMIC should give a good gain if you are running a higher boost level than standard. The same goes for a better SMIC because really you just need more cooling area to accomodate more air being present in the IC at any given time under load. With either, cooling will have to be properly addressed and monitored because you are putting more thermal stress on the motor.

Bob.

How surreal! Whilst driving back I was just thinking it would be useful to find the goss from someone who actually worked on it at Toyota! :-)

I have an EGT gauge on order - although sounds like I should be using some other guages too to measure the more upfront temperatures - can you recommend? (Probably getting a AFR gauge to see if I need a new fuel pump too).