The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which turbine cover?

Jake

I'm looking at Garrett GT4088 turbos and it seems they're pretty cheap.

A lot of them don't seem to come with v-band exhaust fitting though.

I think this one is right but which turbine housing would I need to order?

It says:

-.81, .96, 1.19, and 1.34 AR back housing T4 tangental (3 inch outlet) please call (786) 293-8876 to specify back housing on order

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Divided or not?

And why don't you get the real deal GT4088R if you're going to got for a whole new turbo?

I said in your other thread it wasn't worth converting your old one to a water jacket and DBB but if you're now going for a GT4088...why not get the "R" version?

Have you asked Terry for one? He's doing a shipment soon...

Divided or not?

I think so, or rather the seller thought so, he can check with Garrett before he orders it from them.

If you know, tell me for both types please.

And why don't you get the real deal GT4088R if you're going to got for a whole new turbo?
because it's another $1000 for the turbo and I'm told a pain to plumb the water feeds for a DBB. And the hoses are silly-expensive too.

Have you asked Terry for one? He's doing a shipment soon...
I asked him and he replied but was a bit non-committal, no figures mentioned.

• 3 weeks later...

:thread resurrection:

Well I still haven't got around to ordering a turbo. At the moment I'm unsure about this divided/undivided housing business.

As I understand it (from what I've read) I think I would be better to go for a turbo with a divided housing, seeing as I have a HKS manifold which is also divided. That way I can take advantage of the better spool that it's possible to get with a a divided housing and manifold..... right?

Does anyone know if the BL67DBB has a divided housing or not?

What about the gt4088 and gt4088R?

Seems like the 4088R and the BL67DBB are around the same £ and the 4088 is about half. Also the 4088 is gonna be easier to install but I quite fancy a DBB really.

Decisions decisions

:tempted:

Does anyone know if the BL67DBB has a divided housing or not?

What about the gt4088 and gt4088R?

Seems like the 4088R and the BL67DBB are around the same £ and the 4088 is about half. Also the 4088 is gonna be easier to install but I quite fancy a DBB really.

Decisions decisions

:tempted:

The BL67DBB doesn't. Well, at least the Precision T67DBB doesn't which is the same turbo I believe. Also Precision have started doing them with compressor covers with 3 inch exits (i.e. to the intercooler) by default rather than the more normal 2.5inch slightly smaller covers, so if you order one of those it's worth stating which version you want. I thought I may have trouble with the bigger one but it fitted fine after adjusting my intercooler pipework and now doesn't need a silicon reducer on the end of my intercooler piping - you may be different if you have pre-made intercooler pipework.

When I last looked the 4088R was a fair bit more dosh than the PT67DBB.

Seems like the 4088R is about $1900 (£960) so it's not all that much more.

So if I get a gt4088r with a divided housing what A/R do you guys reckon I should go for? I'm more interested in spool and torque than peak power but it's got to make more power than my old PHR1 GT60.

Should I have a divided manifoldturbo gasket? My old one isn't

Seems like the 4088R is about $1900 (£960) so it's not all that much more.

So if I get a gt4088r with a divided housing what A/R do you guys reckon I should go for? I'm more interested in spool and torque than peak power but it's got to make more power than my old PHR1 GT60.

Should I have a divided manifoldturbo gasket? My old one isn't

Well a PT67DBB from Dusty came in less than £700 delivered not so long ago - prices may have gone up I guess.

Your manifold....as you are thinking of matching it with a non divided turbo...just curious not suggesting you should!!
OIC. Well, no. AFAIA there is no reason to. If you're using a non-divided turbo it's irrelevant whether the manifold if is divided or not. But if you're using a divided turbo housing you will want a divided manifold otherwise there's no benefit.

Good thread Jake' date=' these are exactly the questions I need answers to. I am also upgrading my PHR T61 and was considering the same two turbos. C'mon traders, group buy for two??[/quote']Which two mate? I'm still undecided between PHR GT60, GT4088, GT4088R and T67DBB

My current thinking (but this changes almost daily) is that I might keep it simple and cheap and go for a plain old 4088 but with a divided housing and see if it really does improve the spool as it should in theory.

Why are you upgrading though Charlie? Has your GT60 failed/failing too? Or you just want more top end?

OIC. Well, no. AFAIA there is no reason to. If you're using a non-divided turbo it's irrelevant whether the manifold if is divided or not. But if you're using a divided turbo housing you will want a divided manifold otherwise there's no benefit.

Which two mate? I'm still undecided between PHR GT60, GT4088, GT4088R and T67DBB

My current thinking (but this changes almost daily) is that I might keep it simple and cheap and go for a plain old 4088 but with a divided housing and see if it really does improve the spool as it should in theory.

Why are you upgrading though Charlie? Has your GT60 failed/failing too? Or you just want more top end?

The Turbo I was almost decided on was the GT4088 (ala JamieP), 2nd choice was a BL67DBB. My T61 is still sweet, but had it a few years now and feel the need for more top end.