The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My HG hadnt failed?

cookci

have you got one for sale?

Try Jezzybabes, Jody T, Turbofit???

Wait until the initial crack test results are back though, as they may still find it is cracked.

not sure what pressure test equipment he has TBH.

whats a dye pentrant test?

I think the timing was out a bit TBH and the the problem started soon after replacing the rad cap which was leaking and probably caused it to overheat

Dye penetrant is where one chemical is sprayed onto the surfaces of the head and this will seep into any cracks. The surface is then wiped clean and a white developer sprayed on that expands & changes the first spray into a visible red dye. As it expands it comes back out of the crack, and shows where the crack is in red against a white background. Simple!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dye_penetrant_inspection

lmao.

the engine man has looked at the HG thoroughly now and apparently its obvious where it failed. The head is going to get pressure tested the proper way so maybe things are looking up :)

He should have gone to Specsavers :D

Hope it turns out ok for you mate.

is it worth changing the stat whilst its in bits? Im not sure if ive changed it or not already!

Always worth doing while its apart. Flush the rad too, new top & bottom hoses if they're old (ebay silicon ones are only about £30) and get the cooling system in top condition for your rebuilt head. Makes a good starting point so there's no further problems.

is it easy to get too the stat? just trying to think if ive changed it already! i'll change it again anyway

how would i knnow which hoses to go for on ebay?

Hoses: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Supra-JZA80-NA-Silicone-radiator-hose-silicon-silicon_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33601QQitemZ290056112661QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Thermostat is at the engine end of the top hose, under the bolted on aluminium hose flange (correct term... I don't know!).