The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My HG hadnt failed?

cookci

as my car had been using coolant and blowing off exhaust gases through the radiator cap ive had the head pulled off! the head apparently shows no signs of over heating!

Its turned out the HG has not failed and the head has not warped

does this mean the head is cracked and not be visible?

the engine shop fixing my engine are confused! please help!

can these head gaskets "seap" with almost no visible evidence? this is the mechanics other theory?

They can, but normally there is a mark left on the gasket where the high temperature gas has gone under it and burned it.

As Dick (Tricky-Ricky) says get it pressure crack tested. As its already off its well worth doing.

Prior to taking the head off they should have done a nitrogen pressure test, but not many places have the kit for this.

If the head is not cracked it may be worth getting it skimmed to make it perfectly flat, to ensure there are no HG faliures in the future.

Not having much luck are you mate? :(

No, only get it skimmed if it's not flat. Otherwise just make sure the surface is very clean (possibly get it lightly resurfaced but don't take any meat off it).

Needs pressure testing though, definitely.

:yeahthat: If there is the possibility that the HG has been compromised but the cause cannot be found a cleanup is worth while. This will at least ensure the surface will not cause the gasket to fail in the future (if that was the problem in the first place).

Problem with pressure testing heads is the cracks often do not not open up and start leaking until the head is up to working temp, and it's not possible to duplicate 900 degree exhaust gasses through the ports and 100 degree water temps whilst it's clamped to a rubber covered sheet.... ;)

lol

ive got to laugh now.

the bloke seemed to think he could see evidence that the HG had gone on no 6 cylinder. He knew this by looking at the pot????

ARe you 100% sure you were getting exhaust gas in the coolant? If not it could be micro-fractures in the plastic radiator end tanks.

i was getting gas coming up through the radiator (could see the bubbles)

had a test done on the gases and the test proved it was exhaust gases!

We did the same test on 3 other cars and twice on mine. It only changed colour on mine.

Of course it was using coolant also

although my car will probably come back 100% like new in a week :) :) :)

im being optimistic as i get told off by the missus when im negative

honestly though the bloke doing the work just doesnt want to put it all back together until he's 100% sure what the problem was which is only a good thing. I guess this might not be possible though?

Problem with pressure testing heads is the cracks often do not not open up and start leaking until the head is up to working temp, and it's not possible to duplicate 900 degree exhaust gasses through the ports and 100 degree water temps whilst it's clamped to a rubber covered sheet.... ;)

The hot pressure test rig I previously used at work had clamped ports, a head gasket to bolt down onto the jig and was nitrogen pressure fed to quite a few bar. And was done inside a explosion proof chamber.

I'm guessing the garage hasn't got this?!!

i was getting gas coming up through the radiator (could see the bubbles)

had a test done on the gases and the test proved it was exhaust gases!

We did the same test on 3 other cars and twice on mine. It only changed colour on mine.

Of course it was using coolant also

I read that in your other thread.... so it must be a gasket/head/block problem. Its very unlikely to be the block, or a piston would have come out of the side by now!

The head itself can crack around the exhaust valve seat, combustion chamber face or exhaust ports in that order of probability.

The gasket can fail due to being over pressured (too much ignition advance causing knock), over temperature (coolant running out) or due to the head losing its clamping load (not fastened down enough or overheating causing it to warp & even lose its heat treatment and become soft).

There's only so many places to look.

Maybe if the pressure test doesn't show up a crack it could be dye penetrant tested.

not sure what pressure test equipment he has TBH.

whats a dye pentrant test?

I think the timing was out a bit TBH and the the problem started soon after replacing the rad cap which was leaking and probably caused it to overheat