The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BPU but 1.7 Bar boost !!!!

Mas

Got the AVCR fitted yesterday aswell as the fmic, the car feels lovely and very responsive and fast but just noticed the over boosting which is very high for a bpu!!

it goes to 1.7 bar even when you turn the boost controller off nothing happenes and still get the boost gage going up to 1.7

need to mention the boost controller doesnt read same as the boost gauge I have, ie; when the gauge shows 1.0 bar the avcr shows under boost -0.78...ish !!!

any ideas guys?

Its double decated with a restrictor ring (I think its a 1 bar one) , very strange as we just checked it with Ro and the car is just amazing as never been like this before so quick but again it might be due to the over boosting, no different with controller on or off I still go to 1.7 !!!

Mas, as other said do not drive it on boost. Back when I was messing about with restrictors, I saw 15.0 AFR at 1.7bar - not good at all! It'll kill your plugs in seconds too.

It does feel incredibly quick though!

If its reaching those levels it's almost as though the wastegate isn't operating at all. Check where it's been plumbed in and verify its correct.

Cheers guys, I only drove the car about 100ish miles since last night , not going to use it till its sorted again, Ro thinks I should have disabled the hose that ends up some where in the wastegate, he will send me a pic later on and I will show it to you guys, as I said dont really want to kill the turbos this quick :)

I'll find a pic of my engine bay and let you know which one he means.

The hose that should be blocked off is the one that goes from the actuator to the waste gate VSV, the other from the waste gate to the turbo compressor housing is the one that should be plumbed into the boost controller.

guys, could any one post up a pic of the blocked up hoses etc if you have one available somewhere :)

Hi Mas,

It's the front one that needs blocking off as in the thumbnail picture marked with "X" and labelled below:

It's the one marked "From Wastegate VSV":

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=13934&d=1112558703

Mines just blocked with a short bit of tubing with a bolt stuck on the end!

The Wastegate VSV electric plug can be disconnected (I think!).

I'll double check everything with you when I get my car back, should be early this week.

Ro

DSC02468.JPG

And they stay at 7-8 even at 1.7bar??

It could be your boost gauge thats faulty then, have you checked your fittings on the gauge

the thing is boost gause shows right but its the boostcontroller that shows stupid figures, ie; when Im well passed 1 bar the avcr shows -0. 78ish

is the EGT fitted pre or post turbo? Thats some low figures even for 1.4bar, let alone 1.7bar.

JB

I got Mark at phoenix to fit that one and I think it was fitted pre turbos, not sure though but I remember we had this conversation with mark before he fitted them.