The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Butterfly in the inlet ???

Suprash

I have a question concerning the butterfly inside the inlet chambers, because we noticed that the car really comes on full chat at 4k revs, and was wondering if there something was opening/closing. When we looked inside the inlet, there is a butterfly type thing, that stays open up until 4k which seems to cause the air to pass between chambers, and when you hit 4k revs, it closes causing more air to flow directly down into the inlet. Now we're wondering what happens if you jam that butterfly thing shut all the time, will it give it more kick below 4k.

Hope someone can answer this..........:D

Just off to bed Ash, but I touched on this in the thread you posted up about modding the NA. Will reply tomoz.

It's all to do with varying the intake runner lengths and volume to take advantage of pulse waves generated in the intake system as valves open and close creating pulses. The timing and direction of these pulses (if designed correctly) helps to force more charge into the cylinders at a given rpm.

Typically (but not exclusively):

- Short runner lengths: Pulse tuning effect occurs higher in rev range

- Long runner lengths: Occurs lower in rpm range.

- Longer runners help build greater torque at lower rpm's and short do the same at higher rpm's.

NA supras have a variable intake system to try to allow benefit at more than one single point in the rev range.

Originally posted by Darren Blake

Nas have a variable intake system???? That's news to me! How come in three years of Supra chatting this has never come up?

I'm shocked.

MR2 turbos have them as well if I remember correctly.

:thumbs:

The Mk1 MR2's and ST185 Celica's definitely had T-VIS. Which effectively blocked air flow into 1/2 inlet valves at low speed. This gave you all the benefits of 8 valves low down in the rev range but opened up to 16 valve when you got past about 3000 rpm IIRC.

I think what happens on the Supe NA is more to do with variable length intake rather than changing the number of effective vlaves though??

Regards

Tony

mmm, this looks to scale :D Maybe my new design would flow better :innocent:

But you get the point, this is looking at from the gasket end of the inlet, so you have the 6 runners on the other side. Inside there is a circled disc that stays open (blue) until you hit 4k revs, this disc then shut closed (red)

inlet.jpg

Can you tell what it is yet? :innocent:

So runners 1, 2 and 3 and 4, 5 and 6 have separate chambers in the plenum but they can be joined into a single chamber by opening the valve?

Sounds similar to the multi-mode intake systems used on V6 engines where the plenums for each bank can be directly linked.

I'm amazed that no one has mentioned it before.

Top quality Ash,

You're not a draftsman by any chance are ya!! ;)

I thought the variable geometry inlet on the NA was common knowledge and like most NA stuff, unfortunately, it just never gets discussed.

I don't think you've got anything to gain by fiddling Ash. If you were aiming for a balls out NA 300bhp engine then you might well junk the lot but that's a different story.

Originally posted by TLicense

The Mk1 MR2's and ST185 Celica's definitely had T-VIS. Which effectively blocked air flow into 1/2 inlet valves at low speed. This gave you all the benefits of 8 valves low down in the rev range but opened up to 16 valve when you got past about 3000 rpm IIRC.

I think what happens on the Supe NA is more to do with variable length intake rather than changing the number of effective vlaves though??

Regards

Tony

I know my last car....a Celica GTi (ST182) had ACIS...wich is..as i understand it basicly about the same as TVIS :)

@lpher

I meant to post up that I looked and did indeed find a vacuum actuator right where Ashley said it would be. Sweet!

Darren, what does this mean then.......sweet I was right, sweet we can mod it ???????

Sweet that you were right.

If you make it either always open or always closed then either low down torque or top end power will suffer for no gain to the other.

You might be able to play around with the switching point by running the actuator through a dedicated solenoid, but my guess is its optimised already.

Sweet that you were right.

If you make it either always open or always closed then either low down torque or top end power will suffer for no gain to the other.

You might be able to play around with the switching point by running the actuator through a dedicated solenoid, but my guess is its optimised already.

:mad: Thats disapointing.........was hoping it was more of a Toyota thing for economy or emissions......