The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MySpace accounts - Why?

Pete

Have a go and sign up. I'll even be your friend :D

I see what you mean mate. Like I said initially - maybe I'm just missing the point.

Perhaps I'll give it a go and see what happens. Perhaps see if I can make the most boring MySpace account ever and see if people STILL want to link friends! :D

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Myspace is cool, as already said you meet loads of people you've lost touch with. Because of myspace I met up with some old friends from my younger days. I'm seeing one the girls now so all is good!

You should give a try Pete. I used to think it was a load of bollox and didn't even tell my mates I was on there becuase it seemed daft. But one by one they've all signed up over the last few months.

I'm not one if them muppets who has 1000's of friends though and I don't buy into the whole bulletin/blog crap - but myspace has it's uses.

• 4 months later...

Tonight out of curiosity I started http://www.myspace.com/peterbarfield

When I get more time I may even customise the layout and enter something interesting.....or maybe I won't.

Still, I managed to find a couple of people I know. Most peoples names I tried to search came back with hundreds of results though :(

Is there a trick to finding people with common names?

So who wants to be my fwend?

Facebook is more private. Only the people you want to be able to see your profile can. I never used myspace for that reason, but with Facebook you can choose to ignore people. Like I've done with some guys who were utter b*stards to me at school, but now, 8 years later, they want to be my friend! :rolleyes:

Facebook is more private. Only the people you want to be able to see your profile can. I never used myspace for that reason, but with Facebook you can choose to ignore people. Like I've done with some guys who were utter b*stards to me at school, but now, 8 years later, they want to be my friend! :rolleyes:

Myspace can be made private, thats what the control panel is for. You can ingore/report what ever soo thats no different.

Myspace can be made private, thats what the control panel is for. You can ingore/report what ever soo thats no different.

I never realised that! Seeing as I can go on there and look at pretty much everyone's profiles, I simply assumed that it was all open and public. You learn something every day!

I never realised that! Seeing as I can go on there and look at pretty much everyone's profiles, I simply assumed that it was all open and public. You learn something every day!

Those people where their profile is public either chose to have it public or they don't know how to make it private lol

I've got my MySpace page for my friends to keep in touch with me, I know there's a telephone, e-mail, or heaven help us, Snail Mail (I feel so CeeBeebies saying that), but in this day and age, when we're working hard, and so on, it can be quite a useful tool...

I don't use it to hunt people out, and I keep my account to people I know and have at least spoken to, preferably people I've met...

http://www.myspace.com/potsworth is me

Myspace reminds me of when the internet first became popular (for those of you old enough to remember). A lot of people thought it would be really cool to set up your own web site telling the world who you are and what amazing things you've been doing. Having your own web page was de-rigeur. It didn't take long for most of those people to get bored of it and abandon them. I wouldn't be surprised if Myspace goes the same way.

I dont have msn or myspace or facebook (or any freinds:cry:), but didn't some bint get thrown out of uni recently cos she posted up some pics on facebook and the university hacked the account.

It wouldn't surprise me. I'd be keeping this quite professional as I know in the past clients have put my full name into Google before. Some stuff just shouldn't be read by people you do business with!

Myspace reminds me of when the internet first became popular (for those of you old enough to remember). A lot of people thought it would be really cool to set up your own web site telling the world who you are and what amazing things you've been doing. Having your own web page was de-rigeur. It didn't take long for most of those people to get bored of it and abandon them. I wouldn't be surprised if Myspace goes the same way.

I think that's why I'm so uninterested in it all. I've been using the net since 9600 modems and NCSA Mosaic via JANET at uni. The excitement of having my name and picture for "the world to see" like it's some kind of fame is of no interest to me. I do appreciate the networking benefits though.