The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MySpace accounts - Why?

Pete

I've been trying to figure out why anyone would want to make a MySpace account - am I missing something?

The way I see it:

Person makes an account. They feel they must enforce everything they like on the world by adding the favorite (dire) music, garish poster of some movie star/rock band and then fill it with a load of text about them which I'm sure is wholly untrue just to make themselves look good.

The result is usually a page with colours, text and images splattered all around resembling a pool of vomit on the city streets with the subtle tint of neon lights reflecting off it.

It's then a competition of how many 'friends' you can get by wasting your life talking to random people on IM and persuading them to leave comments on your Space. Why not just go down the pub? Ok, so if you can get a 'celebrity' friend to link then you're obviously some kind of God and you're not worthy of mingling with the local pub commoners.

Surely by showing off what "cool" stuff you have and how excellent your life is you're just making yourself a target to be taken advantage of?

I've no idea why I decided to rant about this rather than going to fit my new brake disks.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why not open a MySpace account? :)

It's funny, but straight after posting I thought "oh crap, someones going to point out I've gone and made an account with some dumb ass pic of me saying I was Top Gun fighter pilot or something" and had to go and check I hadn't when it first came on line.

Result - no. :)

I might do one just for page links and Google ranking. ;)

....It does have it's uses

I am using it at the moment to track my mates progress on his round the world trip. He puts up blogs and we get to see his pictures too.

Although I do agree Pete, it can leave you exposed, should you give away everything about yourself and 90% of people on there have too much time on their hands.

That was a serious question, not a criticism

Sorry....if I sounded all defensive then.

I blame the headache I am nursing after last night :(

tbh, there are better ways, such as creating your own website etc. But for a non techie person it provides a simpler alternative.

I can see it's worth if you have something to offer. I keep in touch with several bands that I know personally using MySpace. For them it's cheaper than maintaining a webspace and they can put info up there from anywhere in the world.

Writers are another example of people that can utilise MySpace very well.

The rest of us, including myself, are just attention whores.

I can see it's worth if you have something to offer. I keep in touch with several bands that I know personally using MySpace. For them it's cheaper than maintaining a webspace and they can put info up there from anywhere in the world.

I can understand the commercial aspects for people that can't afford their own sites.

I think it started off as being for musicians didn't it?

MySpace accounts - Why?

lol omg man get wit it grandadd u old farts juz dunt geddit du yuo lol!!!!!!!!!.... u cn put up ure sik myspace n olr ur frends cn giv u mad props lol!!!! an dats juz won reson theyrs like bilyons ov ovvers dat u ol fartz wuldnt unnastan rite lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol omg man get wit it grandadd u old farts juz dunt geddit du yuo lol!!!!!!!!!.... u cn put up ure sik myspace n olr ur frends cn giv u mad props lol!!!! an dats juz won reson theyrs like bilyons ov ovvers dat u ol fartz wuldnt unnastan rite lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha you have no idea how many people actually talk like that, it's scary.

New music is why I go on there, there are new bands all the time.

Oh and people like the Arctic Monkeys and Lilly Allen were born on there.

And also I've never had a random conversation on IM to convince someone to be my friend, where the hell did you hear that?!

Pete, if you look at the myspace thread you'll see me saying the exact same thing. To me it just seemed self promotion, for people to just go and shout "look at me". What's the point and why on earth would anyone be stupid and self obssessed to do such a thing.

Well bored over the christmas break i actually opened an account and my view has changed completely. Im now in contact with friends i havn't spoken to in years. And yes you could join Friendsreunited, but you have to pay and it's nothing like myspace. I also love my music and have added a couple of bands/artists who let me know when they have a new gig or album coming soon.

The only thing i don't get that slightly annoys me is people asking to be put on my friend list that i don't know. I don't understand that as to me it's not a competition as to how many friends you have.

Have a go and sign up. I'll even be your friend :D

I see it as a simple means of web presence that allows me to gain and maintain contact and communication with a group of people with like-minded interest.

Which means people who are interested in my record label are able to have a direct link to it and are able to make contact easily. Promotion of new releases/events to all the people listed my friends is simple.

So as a promotional tool it's good for them and good for me, and it definately works.

http://www.myspace.com/jazzmangerald

i created an account a few months back just to see what all the fuss was about. then i started getting 'buddy requests' off people ive never even messaged let alone know!

over the last few years of all the contacts ive added on MSN messenger (roughly 250) through various sites thers only a handfull that i actually chat to regularly so why certain people feel the need to rack up XXXx amount of buddies il never know.

if you wanna meet like minded people,like i did when i bought my supra, then join a forum like supraforums.com