The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Interested in claiming back bank charges for last 6 years?

paul ashton

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the banks can now go ahead and charge whatever fees they like, way to go Lord Phillips.

Glad I got my claim in and sorted before everything got suspended now.

All is not lost for the consumer. A lot has happened from this, for example, Natwest and a few other have actually lowered their charges. I think they've gone down from about £28 to £5 for something like going overdrawn.

Natwest and a few other have actually lowered their charges.

I think you'll find most have just changed the way they collect the charges. Halifax for example changed from charging a one off fee if you went over your overdraft limit in a particular month, to charging a smaller daily fee for every day you are over.

For most people I suspect they'll either end up paying the same, or more than before.

I think you'll find most have just changed the way they collect the charges. Halifax for example changed from charging a one off fee if you went over your overdraft limit in a particular month, to charging a smaller daily fee for every day you are over.

For most people I suspect they'll either end up paying the same, or more than before.

Perhaps, but I know that Natwest has unconditionally lowered their fees all round. Unfortuneatly for me, the days when this would have been useful have come and gone :rolleyes:

:yeahthat: I think my bank (Lloyds TSB) charge something like an inital £20 then £6 per day plus the APR interest. :rolleyes:

Except that Halifax not only charge to go over your overdraft - they charge to have one too. It's £1 per day - even if you're 50p into your overdraft (£2 if your overdraft is over £2,500).

Here's a link to the RBS (natwest by default) cuts. They are seemingly the only corporation doing it. still not great, but better than nothing.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/savings-and-banking/bank-charges/article.html?in_article_id=490405&in_page_id=507

Summary:

Rejected transaction fee reduced to £5 from £38 (maximum £50 per month, reduced from £114 per day, which could have meant thousands each month).

Accepted transactions which take you overdrawn without permission: fee reduced to £15 from £30 (maximum £90 per month)

Accepted transactions which take you overdrawn without permission using a cheque guarantee card: fee reduced to £15 from £35 (maximum £90 per month, reduced from £105 per day)

Monthly fee while in an unauthorised overdraft reduced to £20 from £28

Unarranged borrowing interest rate reduced to 19.24% from 29.69%.

Except that Halifax not only charge to go over your overdraft - they charge to have one too. It's £1 per day - even if you're 50p into your overdraft (£2 if your overdraft is over £2,500).

I personally think that is disgusting. I am considering changing my Halifax accounts over to Natwest. From December if you go 50p into your overdraft you get charged £1 per day. Thats 200% interest in one day.... I worked it out that they are basically changing the O/D to a 14% loan.... i.e. its cheaper interest wise to borrow the maximum overdraft for a year than borrow 50p for a year,

I am but thats not due to Natwest :p

In all seriousness though they have done it for years. It even tell's you at ATMs.

used to work for HSBC on the phones 5 years ago

Perhaps you are not special? :p

:D

I'm not questioning whether it should do it. Im just saying it's flawed and doesn't work properly. Many a time I've come across my available balance being totally different to what it should be, knowing that I've being to a restaraunt or filled up with fuel etc.

I personally think that is disgusting. I am considering changing my Halifax accounts over to Natwest. From December if you go 50p into your overdraft you get charged £1 per day. Thats 200% interest in one day.... I worked it out that they are basically changing the O/D to a 14% loan.... i.e. its cheaper interest wise to borrow the maximum overdraft for a year than borrow 50p for a year,

They've basically switched the onus onto the people that keep their finances more or less in order.

If I was with Halifax, I'd be moving without a doubt. Wouldn't have ever gone with them to start with mind.