The mkiv Supra Owners Club

House hunting woes - Advice needed

mkirby

Right accepted a cash offer on our house, already gone to solicitors as they dont want a survey as its a pretty new house etc so basically we gonna have to be out in around 3 weeks

So we hit the house hunting with avengence the last few days (even with my bad back LOL) found a few ones we could live in, one i liked but needed work and one the wife loved and it was very special inside but its been done up by a property investor to sell on so its nice but has all hired in furniture so looks the dogs danglies but anyway she had to have it so puts in an offer, gets turned down, increases it, gets turned down again so asked around and got told its £10k over priced for where it is but fell on deaf ears!! could be a blessing though as i just found out my ex lives about 50 yards down the road so maybe that one wasnt to be.

Dont think i can pursuade her to go for the house i like and we have searched high and low and cannot find anything we really like

So we have 3 options.

Just go for a house we think is nice but not quite what we wanted? we have found a nice house but parking isnt that good, well its got a 4 car drive and a detached garage but the driveway is 7 foot wide!! so no zeds will be reversing down that one in a hurry!!

Increase our budget and stretch ourselves, not to a point we cannot live but more than i originally wanted to, this does open up some nicer houses which would be right up our street as such

Put the stuff in storage and move in with the parents for a while until we find something!! i dont know if i could stand this for a long term thing as she would drive me crackers and possible cause divorce

I dont know and my brain hurts

Option 3 sounds like the wisest. Give yourself plenty of time to look round plus, with interest rates about to drift up again, house prices will steady off and you can haggle harder. Getting towards Spring always sees a bit of a pick-up in the market as well - its a good time to buy and sell.

My lady and I are just in the middle of selling both of our own homes and getting one together - don't talk to me about solicitors and estate agents - they're all liars!!:D

Option 4 take a 6 month rental and give yourself a lot of pressure relief. The right house will come along in that time. DO NOT RUSH INTO BUYING A HOUSE. you have to live there too long if you buy it to make a mistake.

Completely agree with this, though I'd say to stick most of your stuff in storage (costs very little) and get a cheap small flat to rent while you hunt for the property that’s right for you. That way you won't eat into your savings and will probably accumulate more savings while you look for the next place.

I cannot state it enough, but do not buy a place you're not at least 99% happy with. You'll just spend your time there wishing you were somewhere else.

Option 4 take a 6 month rental and give yourself a lot of pressure relief. The right house will come along in that time. DO NOT RUSH INTO BUYING A HOUSE. you have to live there too long if you buy it to make a mistake.

I second that Sir!

This is the most important decision you will make and yet you're willing to make such a rushed and non-informed decision on something that may bite you severely in the arse in a few months!!

I agree with DB. rent something that is cheap (3 months or 6) and give yourself a breather to learn the market and find the house that you want to live in. Don't buy something that is brand spanking new as you will be paying the maximum value of the house from the outset of purchase. Instead, buy something that needs a wee bit of work but which is located in a desirable area - this will always ensure that your house value increases in a 'buoyant' market place.

You can always improve the look of a house but you can't improve the area its in - that's the rule I use when buying and selling houses

The house market is going to increase during the onset of spring and summer so give yourself a chance to make an informed decision

cheers for that guys, think were gonna increase the budget to see if that opens up a few more options.

also with a dog and cat it makes it hard to rent somewhere short term so that may not be an option plus its the hastle of moving twice LOL but i agree we will not make a decision straight away for the sake of it.

Have a few viewings booked in tomorrow with one house being stunning :) maybe a little too open plan but its certainly is nice ;)

Mike

cheers for that guys, think were gonna increase the budget to see if that opens up a few more options.

also with a dog and cat it makes it hard to rent somewhere short term so that may not be an option plus its the hastle of moving twice LOL but i agree we will not make a decision straight away for the sake of it.

Have a few viewings booked in tomorrow with one house being stunning :) maybe a little too open plan but its certainly is nice ;)

Mike

I would agree with this choice. Me and the wife stretched ourselves when we moved 4 years ago. Best thing we did as we have a nice house in a nice quiet area. Sure it makes life tough for a few years with big mortgage etc, but it was well worth it.

Good luck

Mark

me and my missus just moved into our new home in jan, in our original budget we seen lots of nice houses that needed bit work etc (but just werent what we wanted) then we increased our budget by 15k and found the perfect home with all the work done and fully refurbed ( so no building work etc ) and the best thing was this house was reduced by 15k due to (matrimonial reasons) so when we first looked at this houese it was 30k too much and it was our dream home and due to the increase of our budget and our cheeky offer to estate agents the couple agreed to sell as we were not involved in chain..

increase the budget if you can ;)

dont rush it mate,estate agents and solicitors are crap,weve just sold our house and its costing me a fortune,got £135 grand for it,and now i have to give the morgage lenders £4358 to settle the debt early,F**king rip off merchants

could you not port the mortgage to your new property ?

well viewed a few more today along with another second viewing but there was one which blew us away :)

At the higher end of the budget but i know they are keep to sell as they accepted an offer and went off buying another house and the chain is going slow so they are close to losing their house so put in an offer so fingers crossed :)

Not too sure about the Koi Carp pond but hey can always get rid of it :D

http://www.gfpropertysales.com/pdfs/G213_2055_A3_200_50.pdf

Mike