The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Head Gasket... :(

Guest StevenSheen

were looking at a day and a half labour at £94.00 an hour plus 200 quid for an HKS HG....plus the £600 quid already owed for the unnessesarry work they have already carried out in the elimination process.....

sorry buddy, I would take it to somewhere decent like Pheonix. not to mention that they charge less than half of that per hour.

TDI are muppets regardless of how much they charge...stay away

FYI - Whifbitz charge 50+ vat.

I can't believe the amount of grief I've seen on this forum with this "Nick" guy at the source. It pees me off to see honest guys buying cars with parts missing/problems like this.

Personally if it were me I'd be going to pay him a personal visit, there's people out there who'll do anything for a couple of pints ;)

£94 an hour! I'm moving to Essex! :D

Gaz.

thats plus vat mind you :blink:

we charge less than quater that per hour :rolleyes:

i really feel sorry for you mate, really do.

good luck in sorting it out and make sure you consult the forum before you make any other move.

regards

bijal

This sounds like a blocked rad rather then Head gasket. i had this problem with my honda accord. i was prepared to pull the engine apart , when i calm myself down and thought of the simplist jobs first .

1:changed coolent / flush the rad out

2:checked fan

3:changed thermostat

4:change rad thermostat

on step one , i noticed that not alot of water was coming out of the drain tube.Took the rad off and sure as it was the rad was blocked and most of the fins were missing . changed it and it works perfect now.

But you say its got oil in the coolent , good luck

Guest StevenSheen

Class lol U never been to essex then!

Thanks for all your help guys, Paul Whiffin has emailed me directly..very kind of him so will get the car to him to carry out the work, seems like a genuine chap ;)

Just took out some AA relay so might be able to pull a fast one Tuesday and convieniently break down so they can get the car to him in enfield ;)

Steve, the first thing you want to do to diagnose if the head gasket is gone is a nitrogen leak down test. Its the only way of checking if the head gasket is compromised.

It involves locking the flywheel in position and with each cylinder at TDC (in turn) introducing nitrogen at up to 500 bar (I think). If a head gasket is gone it will blow through to the coolant (lots of bubbles through the rad... or even blowing the entire contents out!); into the crankcase (sound of lots of gas coming out of the breather); the inlet or the exhaust (lots of gas there too); or even into another cylinder (blows out of the spark plug holes.

If it passes this then its 100% okay.

See if this can be done?

Steve, the first thing you want to do to diagnose if the head gasket is gone is a nitrogen leak down test. Its the only way of checking if the head gasket is compromised.

It involves locking the flywheel in position and with each cylinder at TDC (in turn) introducing nitrogen at up to 500 bar (I think). If a head gasket is gone it will blow through to the coolant (lots of bubbles through the rad... or even blowing the entire contents out!); into the crankcase (sound of lots of gas coming out of the breather); the inlet or the exhaust (lots of gas there too); or even into another cylinder (blows out of the spark plug holes.

If it passes this then its 100% okay.

See if this can be done?

I don't think this will tell him if the head gasket is gone from a coolant run to an oil run though? :shrug:

Paul Whiffin has emailed me directly..very kind of him so will get the car to him to carry out the work, seems like a genuine chap ;)

Paul's a decent guy.

I'm sure he'll do all he can to help you.

I really don't envy him taking on a job like this, after it seems the world and his wife have discussed it, and are waiting with baited breath for the results.

It may be an idea just to cut him a bit of slack, and let him get on with the job now, rather than posting daily bulletins.

Just IMHO, of course :D

Seriously - don't let some crooked bastard bluff and bluster you. You're doing exactly what he wants you to do - give in because it all looks too hard, or not worth it.

He sold you somethng not fit for purpose! As any form of business owner he MUST comply with the sale of goods and trade descriptions act. End of story! Small-print and posters that try to deny this are not recognised legally in any way, even if you signed them. You cannot sign away your statutory rights.

Don't let this one slide!!