The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Head Gasket... :(

Guest StevenSheen

Guest StevenSheen

So it looks like Nasty Nick did indeed sell me a car with a blown head gasket... as after 8 days in TDI a new viscus fan and a coolent change later the car continues to overheat and pink after short blasts on the motorway...

There are now some signs of coolant leaking into the engine oil...apparently this has became more apparent since they have put fresh coolant into the car..

So I paid top dollar from helpful Nick for what is at this exact moment a bit of a dog...

He has now stopped emailing me since I requested assistance with the over heating problem via the warranty. So im sure his gonna run a mile once he hears it is a head gasket...the thing that gets me is Nick (GT-Breakers) apparently told the previous owner the Gasket had blown so he sold it to me on that basis...

I can see no option but to leave it with TDI to complete the work...were looking at a day and a half labour at £94.00 an hour plus 200 quid for an HKS HG....plus the £600 quid already owed for the unnessesarry work they have already carried out in the elimination process.....

Anyone got any Ideas or alternative garages in essex it could be limped to....

TDI are not even certain its the HG as they say it could even be the heater matrix.....

Right now I may just drive this car through Nicks Iron gates and into his bedroom via the bay windows... :Pling:

Guest StevenSheen

He told me I got a waranty with it for a year but this dealer has a unique history.....he tends to lie through his back teeth...the pinking is not caused by a heater matrix,we know that, we believe it may be caused by a poor engine map on the Fcon pro....something that Nick denied but the previous owner confirmed....

It may have had 850cc injectors at some point the thing is it doesnt have them now so it might be, that the map was programmed for the larger injectors and is still running the same map now they have been removed...

BUT what do you guys suggest, leave it with TDI and bite the bullet or get it out of there...is there any where closer to Lakeside area in Essex that it could be limped to?

He told me I got a waranty with it for a year but this dealer has a unique history.....he tends to lie through his back teeth...the pinking is not caused by a heater matrix,we know that, we believe it may be caused by a poor engine map on the Fcon pro....something that Nick denied but the previous owner confirmed....

It may have had 850cc injectors at some point the thing is it doesnt have them now so it might be, that the map was programmed for the larger injectors and is still running the same map now they have been removed...

BUT what do you guys suggest, leave it with TDI and bite the bullet or get it out of there...is there any where closer to Lakeside area in Essex that it could be limped to?

I assume told, means nothing in writing then! lol

I would limp to Turbofit then like carbon angel said. At least they are known good guys!

He told me I got a waranty with it for a year but...

Excuse me - 'but' nothing: :soap:

1. If you have specifications, in writing, that have now been proved wrong then you can quite legally demand he either provide those bits, so that the car is as per the spec you PAID for, or demand a discount in lieu of the missing bits.

2. If you have a written warranty for 12 months then unless it excludes HG failure, which any decent warrantly shouldn't as it's not wear and tear or aging, then you MUST demand he fixes it. :rulez: You must give him the opportunity to correct the problems. If he refuses to honour this (quite likely from what i've read) then summons the bastard to the small-claims court :bobby: and get recompense that way. BTW - even if he didn't give you a written warranty I'd still look into the sale-of-goods Act and your statutory rights, as there should be some come back when buying from a dealer.

DO NOT just let some arsehole make you spend your own money sorting something that is his responsibility, just because he makes it hard for you to get hold of him. Keep at him daily until he responds and take further action depending on this response.

ALSO document, date and note the cost of every last bit of correspondence ie. E-Mails, Phone calls, other garage reports, everything so that when it goes to court you can stuff them all down his throat as evidence of your attempts to resolve this and demand costs for you time wasted.

http://www.lawpack.co.uk/small_claims_kit.asp?source=google&cat=small_claims&gclid=COLaoOPikooCFQJPQgodPSOXng is probably a good place to start, but there is loads more advice on t' internet that's good. There's also your local citizens advice bureau.

Sorry if this post seems a little aggro, :) but I really hate dick-heads like this guy :clown: getting away with shitting all over his customers. :no:

Go to a solicitor and ask his advice. I am certain that you could have a claim as the goods are obviously not fit for purpose and probably fall foul of the advertising of goods act too.

Sorry if this sounds blunt, but if you just walk away and shrug your shoulders then you are mug.

So TDI changed the viscous fan? Fiver says there was nothing wrong with it.

You said in the first thread, that you weren't loosing coolant. If the head gasket is gone, you will be. If the heater matrix is split, you will be.

You also said that it doesn't get particularly hot. Now you're saying it's overheating. Does the needle actually go into the red, or does it just got hot?

Has it got a front mounted intercooler perchance?

Anyway....

Cheapest / easiest things first.

1. Get them to do a coolant system pressure check. This will tell you if any component in the coolant system is leaking.

2. At the same time get them to do a "sniffer" test. This will tell you if the head gasket is gone.

If both of those come back as negative (ie nothing wrong) then I would look at the thermostat. But don't worry abot that until you know the results of first two.

Let us know what happens.....

either way get it to a cheaper company, the head gasket work may be more than expected, the head may be warped and so the costs involved may escalate rapidly.

All of the other traders on the forum are cheaper on an hourly basis from what I can tell.

JB

Totally agree. I would move it to turbofit if it was me, very reasonable rates and many good reports.

Chris Wilson would also be a very good place to get the work done.

Guest StevenSheen

The car gets into the red on the temperature gauge if you give it any welly, but at tick over its ok, the heating efficiency of the interior heater drops off severly when the car starts over heating.

When I first got the car TDI inspected it, as I was worried when the previous owner got in touch to say it needed remapping and that Nick had told him the HG had gone.

On their first run of compression tests they could not find a real problem with the HG, and the coolant level was staying solid....now they have changed that story having tried a new radiator cap, viscious fan and fluid flush/change.

They claim it has been made more apparent that the car has fresh coolant in it that there is a potential HG failure going on as it is now clearly getting coolent in the oil....

But they said there is no way to know for sure that its a HG and it could even be a heater matrix problem?

With their labour costs this is getting expensive... I may try to limp it to Whifbitz in enfield as thats only a 20 min drive...anyone know what their labour costs are...I dont think I hsould try to get the car to Turbofit even though they seem like genuine guys and gals (sam ;) )

What a god damn headache....

To be honest nicks receipt has the worlds smallest print on the reverse...I have looked over everything now, in the excitment of getting my first sup I was not as through as I should have been...more fool me I guess..the small print even states that the car does not have to be suitable for purpose lol! And also that I agree it is in good mechanical state....fine if your buying it in a workshop...but less plesent when you think your buying a car with a warranty....Now i know why his house is hidden out of sight behind iron gates with cctv cameras lol....

Totally agree. I would move it to turbofit if it was me, very reasonable rates and many good reports.

Chris Wilson would also be a very good place to get the work done.

worth considering that the closer the place the more chance you can get the recovery cheap. I know Phoenix's recovery man does some great prices for local pickups and with Whiffy being in Enfield thats pretty close.

Dont expect TDI to release the car easily though, they will expect payment in full for everything done to the car...

JB

Guest StevenSheen

Think Im gonna try to limp it to Whifbitz as its only about 20 miles away. If i keep it to 30-40mph it should get there with a little break here and there. Does anybody know what their hourly rate is, and any experiances with them?

Guest StevenSheen

On the plus side I have had so many problems with this car that I have sought your help over that Im now a novice member yay 50 posts in a week lol!

the small print even states that the car does not have to be suitable for purpose lol! And also that I agree it is in good mechanical state....fine if your buying it in a workshop...but less plesent when you think your buying a car with a warranty....Now i know why his house is hidden out of sight behind iron gates with cctv cameras lol....

Just because his terms and conditions might say that doesn't make it true - if the car isn't fit, it's not fit. The sales of goods act applies, and if you've had the car less than 6 months the burden of proof is on them to prove there was no fault in the first place.

From what I've heard I wouldn't mess around, I would simply start court proceedings immediately.