The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Caught Doing 160mph

terribleturner

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry to sound like a tart guys but there is NO excuse for doing that type of speed on a PUBLIC road. It's doesn't matter if its quiet, 4 Am etc. Go to an airfield or track day!!

He has been doing 250% over the limit and although I bet he regrets it now, there is something in me that says i would never do it.

I did 145 as a passenger once and could not bare the thought of getting caught. I did 120 on my way to Scotland once and would lose everything if i lost my licence. Look at this now, splashed all over the news, teletext etc. Press harrassing his family. Poor Bastard!!

Although the justice system in this country is the laughing stock of the world there is no way he isn't going down.

I reckon 6 months and a HUGE fine, re-test etc.

*waits to be called a fanny!!*

H.

there is NO excuse for doing that type of speed on a PUBLIC road. It's doesn't matter if its quiet, 4 Am etc. Go to an airfield or track day!!

H.

My views too.

He's only pissed off because he got caught, otherwise, he would be bragging about it in his local pub.

Jail him:Pling:

I'm sorry to sound like a tart guys but there is NO excuse for doing that type of speed on a PUBLIC road. It's doesn't matter if its quiet, 4 Am etc. Go to an airfield or track day!!

He has been doing 250% over the limit and although I bet he regrets it now, there is something in me that says i would never do it.

I did 145 as a passenger once and could not bare the thought of getting caught. I did 120 on my way to Scotland once and would lose everything if i lost my licence. Look at this now, splashed all over the news, teletext etc. Press harrassing his family. Poor Bastard!!

Although the justice system in this country is the laughing stock of the world there is no way he isn't going down.

H.

no shouts of "Fanny" here. agree with you 100%

120 is the max anyone should do on UK Motorways, if they have to.

we keep wanting the speed limit raised on the different road classifications, yet idiots like this will never get speed limits raised.

the other thing, if this guy was not connected to someone on forum (even in a distant way), would we have the same sympathy, or want them locked up for being a fool.

personally, i hope he gets everything thrown at them, both a ban and a huge fine.

there is no excuse for this, what happened if a tyre blew and he lost control and killed someone. or more to the point, one of us forum members who was on the road at the same time, would we be so sympathetic then. i guess we would want his blood.

edited from 'be be' to 'be so'

H.

you're a fanny... :p ... you've not experienced the topend power of a soop - the buzz is amazing... i'm sure most of use have been over the limit many many many times... give the poor dude a break - not like he walked into a school and fiddled with kids is it.

Im sorry but if you live your life by "what if" you wouldn't get out of bed as "what if" i get hit by a bus :rolleyes:

His speed was excessive granted but throw the book at him ! come on.:(

i would love to knbow what the stopping distance was for that high end porsche at that speed ? if it had the carbon ceramic brakes.

So let me get this straight, your saying that it's fine to do high speeds and break the law if only it's not alot??

I don't know the bloke myself but if you're going to do such speeds it comes with taking a chance. Even at 120 your taking a chance. If you have a blow out at that speed you could come out very bad along with the people around you.

no shouts of "Fanny" here. agree with you 100%

we keep wanting the speed limit raised on the different road classifications, yet idiots like this will never get speed limits raised.

the other thing, if this guy was not connected to someone on forum (even in a distant way), would we have the same sympathy, or want them locked up for being a fool.

personally, i hope he gets everything thrown at them, both a ban and a huge fine.

there is no excuse for this, what happened if a tyre blew and he lost control and killed someone. or more to the point, one of us forum members who was on the road at the same time, would we be so sympathetic then. i guess we would want his blood.

edited from 'be be' to 'be so'

Not wishing to start an argument or anything here but why should 120mph be acceptable and 170mph demonised? Im guessing that if you had a blowout at 120mph you would be in quite a lot of trouble as well. Both of the speeds are illegal according to our laws. Im guessing that everyone here has done over 70mph on the motorway, so are we all evil?

As Colssop mentioned its pretty crappy to live life by what if's. What if by going an extra 20mph on your journey home tonight, caused you to miss an unaware driver veering into the outside lane of the motorway, thus causing you to avoid a major accident?

There are tons of things that can go wrong everyday of our lives. The only thing we can do is try and be aware of whats going on around us and do our best.

Lack of awareness is a major contributor to accidents in my opinion anyway.

Like I said, im not arguing with your opinion, im just putting acroos mine :)

Mark

So let me get this straight, your saying that it's fine to do high speeds and break the law if only it's not alot??

I don't know the bloke myself but if you're going to do such speeds it comes with taking a chance. Even at 120 your taking a chance. If you have a blow out at that speed you could come out very bad along with the people around you.

Goddam it, i spent so long writing my essay that you got there first :)

Bugger!!

nope, i am saying that reaction times and stopping distances are a safer at 120 than 170. you have more chance to react at 120 than 170.

I Quote "120 is the max anyone should do on UK Motorways, if they have to." i did not say they should break the law, i said if they want to, and then i think it is obvious and didn't need to be said, suffer the consequences.

to make it easy, if you are driving at 120 down a motorway, and someone pulls out from middle lane, you will have better chance of reacting at 120.

Not wishing to start an argument or anything here but why should 120mph be acceptable and 170mph demonised? Im guessing that if you had a blowout at 120mph you would be in quite a lot of trouble as well. Both of the speeds are illegal according to our laws. Im guessing that everyone here has done over 70mph on the motorway, so are we all evil?

As Colssop mentioned its pretty crappy to live life by what if's. What if by going an extra 20mph on your journey home tonight, caused you to miss an unaware driver veering into the outside lane of the motorway, thus causing you to avoid a major accident?

There are tons of things that can go wrong everyday of our lives. The only thing we can do is try and be aware of whats going on around us and do our best.

Lack of awareness is a major contributor to accidents in my opinion anyway.

Like I said, im not arguing with your opinion, im just putting acroos mine :)

Mark

i agree that 'situation awareness' on the road is a lot more important than speeding. what i was trying to say, it would be nice if we could have higher speed limits on the road, andno way will it happen when you get idiots going at 170.

personally, i think the police should concentrate more on bad driving than speeding, but excessive speeding they should get done for.

also, living life with a 'what if' i don't beleive in, i just look at it like common sense.

finally, sure i have no problem going 20mph or even higher over what you would normally do, but 100mph is a bit of overkill.

I understand where James is coming from, e.g. "to make it easy, if you are driving at 120 down a motorway, and someone pulls out from middle lane, you will have better chance of reacting at 120."

Same as 70mph or 50mph. you will always have better chance is slower, and 100% chance if you don't drive at all.

He was caught with a laser gun, all he needed was a laser jammer emm i mean parking sensor :innocent:

PS I love how people attack someone who speeds on a public road(ok he was overdoing it), also i love how some people in here pretend they speed only on a private track- I say "my ass"

At least he is famous now!

I had no idea what went into designing and constructing Autobahn, until i watched a documentary on Discovery.

the difference between the UK and Germany was like some guy with a shovel compared to NASA.

i was surprised when they are governed by the angles they can use on designing the road, and also the +/- degrees of the actual gradient to the road.

i agree that 'situation awareness' on the road is a lot more important than speeding. what i was trying to say, it would be nice if we could have higher speed limits on the road, andno way will it happen when you get idiots going at 170.

personally, i think the police should concentrate more on bad driving than speeding, but excessive speeding they should get done for.

also, living life with a 'what if' i don't beleive in, i just look at it like common sense.

finally, sure i have no problem going 20mph or even higher over what you would normally do, but 100mph is a bit of overkill.

It wouldn't really matter if we had higher speed limits on the roads as people would still want to go faster than allowed anyway. We have enough accidents on the roads with just a 70mph limit so they wll never raise them anyway.

There are too many variables to consider for them to increase the limits anyway. 100mph in a Supra with nice big (and well maintained brakes) is a lot different from Johnny chav doing 100mph in his Cavalier that needs new pads and disks.

We have probably all broke the speed limit during our lives, its just that most of us have got away with it due to luck or picking and choosing the right time and place.