The mkiv Supra Owners Club

wheel damage??

Guest gzaerojon

Guest gzaerojon

my car is sitting locked away in the garage waiting for summer.

i have a set of racing harts fitted and noticed one of the front tyres is totally flat, I'm not bothered about the tyres as I'll be getting a new set before i get her on the road.

but then i got thinking, will the weight of the car on a wheel with a flat tyre damage the wheel in anyway? has anyone got any views on this, or perhaps had a damaged wheel because of this?

cheers

my car is sitting locked away in the garage waiting for summer.

i have a set of racing harts fitted and noticed one of the front tyres is totally flat, I'm not bothered about the tyres as I'll be getting a new set before i get her on the road.

but then i got thinking, will the weight of the car on a wheel with a flat tyre damage the wheel in anyway? has anyone got any views on this, or perhaps had a damaged wheel because of this?

cheers

shouldn't have damaged it i don't think mate. only real damage would be if it was driven when flat but as it's been stationery you should be fine.

No problem with the alloy mate.... unless you have split rims that have an O-ring that's cracked? Or an alloy that's gone porous?

They can take the weight. Not good for the tyres though.

Thought of sitting it on axle stands to keep the weight off the tyres???? Or you could pump the tyres up to 40 psi or more (to the limit on the tyre wall). This would help.

Guest gzaerojon

it's a pain keep getting in the garage to pump it up as it goes down too quickly, i'm not fussed about the tyre as i know it's knackered, i just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to damage the wheel with the un even load it has now the tyre is flat.

i thought about axel stands but is it a good idea to have it on stands for long on an aerotop? might just get a space saver fitted for now

Guest gzaerojon
The very outer edge of the rim, the part furthest from the centre is not designed to be load bearing and it's not the part that presses against a normally inflated tyre.

It'll probably be alright but I wouldn't risk it myself.

you're right, i think i'll just bolt on a space saver for now

Guest gzaerojon
NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you had better NOT have killed those wheels or you is well in proper trouble :)

i hope not :innocent:

anyway it's a win win situation as i believe scrap ali prices are up :D:p

Guest gzaerojon
if they are fubar then i know of a set of rims with one knackered front rim..................i really dont know why i am sharing this information with you :rolleyes:any way ive been told the alloy in the picture is dead as a dead thing

hmm could do with spare centre caps :sly:

how's the search going btw? i'm always looking out for them for you

hmm could do with spare centre caps :sly:

how's the search going btw? i'm always looking out for them for you

thats nice to know cheers mate :) i keep getting random people pming me then dont answer pm i send them but ive got a nice set of 18s on there now dont think i am too arsed, how ever if i find another set i will do every i can to get them to the UK