The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Should films be allowed to have a "bad guy"?

michael

I thought East is East didn't portray Muslims in a horrible way, maybe I was watching a different film.

It portrayed one Muslim, the father, in a quite bad way due to him beating his wife and being a bit of an arse - I suspect most people thought "he's an ass" rather than "all Muslims are bad" after seeing it though.

Michael do you trawl the internet for this type of stuff?

No, I just pick it up on my daily travels around the couple of news sites I read. It's generally more interesting to discuss as a group than stuff like this:

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/newsindex/display.var.1143942.0.hair_salon_burgled_for_fifth_time.php

F*$k the media and all this PC BS.

Movies should be enjoyed for what they are.... movies.

If you don't like what they have to say, don't watch them.

I haven't seen the film yet, but I suppose anyone who took offense to the way this Muslim was portrayed would like the world to believe that people like him don't exist in our "lets make the world seem nice and flowery" society.

It portrayed one Muslim, the father, in a quite bad way due to him beating his wife and being a bit of an arse - I suspect most people thought "he's an ass" rather than "all Muslims are bad" after seeing it though.]

Well yeah, I just saw it as life in the 60s when that kind of thing happened quite often.

No, I just pick it up on my daily travels around the couple of news sites I read. It's generally more interesting to discuss as a group than stuff like this:

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/newsindex/display.var.1143942.0.hair_salon_burgled_for_fifth_time.php

Yeah, the rest of the site looks pants. But to be fair, so is the 'race' article.

I thought East is East didn't portray Muslims in a horrible way, maybe I was watching a different film.

Michael do you trawl the internet for this type of stuff?

I think he does, judging by his previous threads.

Michael, get off your lazy arse and go fit the twins, or are they just giant paper weights now?

Oh ffs, this is rubbish.

I'm from N. Ireland - how many bad guys have been portrayed with that accent?? If everyone believed the movies, then they'd all think I was a terrorist gun-runner/bomber etc.

In fact, someone I know is putting a series of short films together in which I'm doing a voice-over for the bad guy because of the Belfast accent. Mind you, he does die in the first episode. :(

Plus the trashy article concentrates on western film, mostly from Hollywood. Well DUH!!!! Of course the good guys are white/western and the bad guys are dirty foreigners (tongue-in-cheek - I won't rise to any comments about that choice of phrase) who must be coloured to make it clear they are foreign.

I bet if the moron who wrote the article had actually looked at a cross-section of world cinema, he would have seen a different story.