The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Confused HKS 1.6 or 2.0 head gasket

Pig

Need to order the bits for my engine build tomorrow but dont know which hea gasket to go for.

Dusty in the states says i need a 1.6 and turbofit say 2.0.

I will be running CP pistons, carrillo rods and ferrea valves.

Thanks

Jon

So by the looks of it your going all out on the build. Awesome.

Oh ... I'm running with the HKS 2mm HG but I'm running on HKS pistons too buddy.

I have a feeling thats what im going to run. Just hate being told 2 different things!

Depends on the pistons, i think TF was advising a 2mm to go with the arais, if your buying the cp's of dusty then go with the head gasket he advises imo:)

Also are you getting the springs and caps to go with the valves?

What size have you gone with jamie?

It depends on lots of things if you want the optimum - your engine cc, piston choice, rod choice, whether the block or head have been skimmed, stock valves and seats, any mods to combustion chambers, cam choice and your desired compression ratio. Who is building the engine for you?

Generally you should go with the thinnest that allows you to get your desired compression ratio and avoid any possible interference....

It would be strange not to take the advice of the person building the engine.

If you've discussed what you want to achieve from the build with the tuner, then you should have a detailed list of all the parts required.

I assume you're buying the parts from MVP because they're cheaper? I bought my Brembo's from MVP and saved a packet, but personally I'd ask the tuner to supply and fit any engine parts. Not only can you get conflicting advice, but if something goes wrong then it can get complicated.

Just seen this thread.

OK the reason we advise the 2mm head gasket is that the head will be skimmed whilst at the engineering company and I know we are only talking about Thous being removed.

Cam choice is also a factor as is boost levels and petrol choice.

Our engine builder Pete has never put a foot wrong on the 10 odd engines he has re-built whilst we us.

At the end of the day the HKS 2mm HG is trustworthy and proven, we will continue to recommend this to our customers who are going for a high build, high performance engine.