The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Another lucky escape

JamieP

Pic says it all really, snapped four of the five studs on my way to basingstoke meet, luckly i got to a mates house and we went hunting for some new studs.

Went in a small parts shop and a customer over heard me asking for the studs, shopkeeper never had any but this guy said he thinks he does and do i want to follow him back to his house

Result he had the perfect ones, hour later i was back on the rd and off to basingstoke meet:D

Im pretty shaw i know the cause of these snapping but ill keep that one to myself:D

Ok ill come clean... last weekend i was doing a bit of showing of at TF as ya do and i lost it, went backwards up a curb.

All seemed fine but i must have stressed the studs.

It's still comes down to the torque setting. 4 out of five studs failing at the same time?!!! The 5 studs when torqued correctly should exert sufficient force to ensure there is no relative movement between the wheel and hub. The roughness of the two contact surfaces determines the friction of the joint. Your failure is classic incorrect torque tightening. Probably too allow low a setting if you are certain the bump was the event when they all failed. Too high a setting and the studs stretch plastically (Hookes Law) but don't reduce load as long as they don't reach the yield point. Ideally any stud/bolt should be torqued to induce enough tensile load to keep it on the elastic range. Apologies for being too technical - it's what I do for a living.

It's still comes down to the torque setting. 4 out of five studs failing at the same time?!!! The 5 studs when torqued correctly should exert sufficient force to ensure there is no relative movement between the wheel and hub. The roughness of the two contact surfaces determines the friction of the joint. Your failure is classic incorrect torque tightening. Probably too allow low a setting if you are certain the bump was the event when they all failed. Too high a setting and the studs stretch plastically (Hookes Law) but don't reduce load as long as they don't reach the yield point. Ideally any stud/bolt should be torqued to induce enough tensile load to keep it on the elastic range. Apologies for being too technical - it's what I do for a living.

I cant see it being anything to do with torque settings, although i am a bit heavy handed sometimes, i can see where they spilt half way through a while ago as there rusted that bit.

Either way all sorted now but im gonna change the lot next week to be on the safe side.

I'm struggling on the bit I've bold/italic'd above, but are you saying that if they're not torqued-up tight enough, then a bang/kerb mounting like what happened could cause them to fail in the way they did?