The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Starting Problems

Steve W2

It started yesterday morning and now seems to be getting worse when the car is left for any period of time unused, 4+ hours!

You turn the key in the ignition and all the electrics come on fine and have plenty of power to operate them all. When you go to strat the car you just hear a single click and nothing happens. If I do this a few times i get the same noise.

Then all of a sudden, i do it again and the car fires into lfe as if nothing has happened. It runs fine and works perfectly when its going.

It seems to start okay when if you have just stopped, I think within half an hour or so. After that it reverts to previous.

Its definetly not the battery as thats was only replaced about 5 months ago and has plenty of charge.

It seems electrical, does it have a sticky solenoid or something like that?

TIA.:confused:

Originally posted by NWS25

Sounds like the starter solenoid not playing ball.

It does seem to have the symptoms of a sticky solenoid. Does anyone else have experience of this? Can you just change the coil or do you need to replace/repair the valve?

I can't see the solenoid being that expensive to buy, its just how difficult it is to replace and position in the engine bay.

It will be the same as Patrick suffered, and i can do it at a weekend for you. If you want me to remove and replace the starter it will cost a bit more, but it's a right *astard to do without a ramp. 07971-952084 if you want to book it in. I *MAY* be able to do it this weekend, but after that things get a bit hectic as I am planning on doing some major jobs around the house at the weekends whilst the weather is good.

I am sure that you are right Chris, I will give you a call soon to arrange coming to have a look at you Emu's:p

Oh, and maybe you can look at my car whilst I am there?

I cant do this weekend, but will give you a call next week to sort out when you are next free.

That said, I think Dangferous Brain is offering me the solenoidd form his donor transplant car. Would it be easy for me to change the soleoid myself? (i'm thinking not):conf:

Originally posted by Steve W2

That said, I think Dangferous Brain is offering me the solenoidd form his donor transplant car. Would it be easy for me to change the soleoid myself? (i'm thinking not):conf:

Obviously easier than it is for you to spell it though :p :flame Dev