The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bloody NTL

Jake

Spoofing is where you use someone's mac address on a modified modem... Cable systems use MAC addresses in order to work out who has access and who does not. So jake paying for 4meg, his mac address is authorised and will receive the 4mb config. With a modified modem on a DIFFERENT dslam running his mac address will request the same config file...hence free cable for the hacker... Wouldn't make a damn difference to jake unless of course hacker did something naughty and they would pull his details first...

Sorry i should have put another smiley in. I knew what it was, just having a joke as a "hacker" wouldn't bother with a 4mb line, 10mb is all they would be looking for.

Scott =op

I am with NTL and I have no trouble with them at all. I play a lot of games and it give me the lowest latency compare all my past ISPs.

I am on the 10Mb line and download is really fast, movies after movies until I ran out of titles to watch :)

Yeah, same here.... on 10mb, and yeah I've run out of stuff as well... my traffic graph is somewhat pathetic now...

And this is with me working from home most days..

When I reboot the modem the Sync light flashes for while then stays on. When it's on the Ready light then starts flashing. While the Ready light is flashing the cable modem info is as follows:

--------------------------------------------

Cable Modem Status

Item Status Comments

Acquire a Downstream Channel 586750000 Hz Locked

Connectivity State In Progress Ranging Complete

Boot State In Progress Waiting for DHCP Offer

Cable Modem Downstream

Downstream Lock : Locked

Downstream Channel Id : 1

Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz

Downstream Modulation : QAM64

Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec

Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17

Downstream Receive Power Level : 0.7 dBmV

Downstream SNR : 34.5 dB

Cable Modem Upstream

Upstream Lock : Locked

Upstream Channel ID : 5

Upstream Frequency : 41584000 Hz

Upstream Modulation : QPSK

Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec

Upstream transmit Power Level : 48.5 dBmV

Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Cable Modem Operation Configuration

Network Access : Denied

Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 0

Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 0

Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 0

Maximum Number of CPEs : -1

Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Enabled

--------------------------------------------

After a few mins the Ready light goes out, the Sync light starts flashing again and the modem info is the same I posted earlier.

That is a lot better...

That means to me, that they haven't added your MAC address to the TFTP profile.

I'd sit on the phone with them until it is sorted... I'd assume the installer hasn't dialed up to upload all the installs he has done today.

In fairness, NTL have been good recently with customer support. When I upgraded to the 10mb trial, they sent a guy out within 2 days to replace the old NTL 100 modem I had.

Jake, I had the same issue.

They should have registered the MAC when they delivered the modem, you're just not being given an IP.

Both times I've been reduced to this state from years of problem free 'modeming', was down to the hardware for some bizzare reason.