The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra melting!!

Lee

Was driving home last night and noticed a faint burning smell. The smell disappeared after 5 mins or so. Was a bit worried at the time but thought nothing of it until i went out to the car this morning! Opening the door i noticed a small black object in the footwell. I believe the object is the dash light dimer dial, that is next to the ignition. The very worring thing is that it hasn't just fallen off. Its melted off!:(

I'm going to attempt to take the dash off tonight to get a look...hopefully its just an isolated problem and not a tangled mess of melted wires.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Not sure what's happening! Started the car with the lights off and held onto the metal part which connects onto the dimmer switch dial. There is no heat until I switch on the lights. After about a minute of holding on it gets unbearably hot. Have taken off the dashboard and removed the (melted) cream box that controls the dash light brightness.

I’m now a little scared to go out for a drive because I’m paralysed and getting out the car quickly is not easy.

Any advice from any electrical experts would be appreciated.

Oh and does anyone have this item for sale?

Thanks!

Sorry i can't upload any pics...seems to be disabled:eek:

Originally posted by Lee

Not sure what's happening! Started the car with the lights off and held onto the metal part which connects onto the dimmer switch dial. There is no heat until I switch on the lights. After about a minute of holding on it gets unbearably hot. Have taken off the dashboard and removed the (melted) cream box that controls the dash light brightness.

I’m now a little scared to go out for a drive because I’m paralysed and getting out the car quickly is not easy.

Any advice from any electrical experts would be appreciated.

Oh and does anyone have this item for sale?

Thanks!

wow cool! Are you the guy that appeared on TopGear? I was thinking about it last week and I was going to post a "does anybody know of that guy who was on TopGear... is he a member?"

is it you?

Originally posted by carl0s

wow cool! Are you the guy that appeared on TopGear? I was thinking about it last week and I was going to post a "does anybody know of that guy who was on TopGear... is he a member?"

is it you?

No, 'Roboldham' was the star of Top Gear if I remember correctly.

Paul

I have a new dimmer switch you can buy off me, but there is obviously something very wrong with the wiring on your dash circuit, sounds like there is a short on it but the fact that it doesnt fuse out is very worrying!!

I would take off the panels and see if there is any other damage to any other wires and try and trace the problem.

As the dimmer switch gets old, the contacts wear out causing 'arcing' inside the switch. This can cause a heat build up, but not the short required to blow the fuse.

Fit a brand new dimmer switch, and have the whole circuit checked out by a competant auto electrician.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Originally posted by supra TT myster

I have a new dimmer switch you can buy off me, but there is obviously something very wrong with the wiring on your dash circuit, sounds like there is a short on it but the fact that it doesnt fuse out is very worrying!!

I would take off the panels and see if there is any other damage to any other wires and try and trace the problem.

as supra myster says if it is melting its getting hot which is not good. personally i wouldn't drive it again untill you trace the problem. otherwise you may be looking at an explosion

in the footwell?are you sure? no such thing as dimmer in footwell its to the right of steering wheel IIRC

I think he means it fell in there fella? Its more than likely gonna be the box itself causing the problem. It will be some form of potentiometer in there. An insulation check on the wiring wouldn't go amiss when you get the new dimmer box fitted. Age moving parts and electricity have a tendency to cause trouble at some point.

If the box is drawing enough current (which it will do to heat plastic to melting point) it will burn the fuse out as well.

Thanks for the replys guys!!

Don't know where i would be without this place! Definately worth becoming a full member! :D

Went out for a drive last night, no burning smells or smoke! lol

Have looked at the wires behing the dash, they all seem to be ok as far as i can see. But for safety sake i'll get an auto electricain to double check once i've fitted an new dimmer switch. (hopefully form Supra TT Myster)

Oh, does anyone know by chance if the odometer lights are connected to the dimmer switch? Just that when the headlights are off, the odometer back light is on but when i switch the headlights on the odometer back light goes off! This has been like this since i bought it.