The mkiv Supra Owners Club

fitting uk brakes

Guest mk47

im going to have my uk brakes 'fitted' this week at some point. now im not sure wether the wheels i have will clear the brakes so i was wondering if the front caliper is removed does that mean having to bleed the whole brake fluid regardless before fitting the new ones? and if they do not clear we will have to remove them and replace again with the jspec brakes until i can find wheel replacements, so is the procedure repeated?

also ive got the calipers, discs and pads, and already have stainless hoses so is that everything needed?

cheers :)

if the front caliper is removed does that mean having to bleed the whole brake fluid regardless before fitting the new ones?
No, after fitting the new one.

if they do not clear we will have to remove them and replace again with the jspec brakes until i can find wheel replacements, so is the procedure repeated?
Yes

ive got the calipers, discs and pads, and already have stainless hoses so is that everything needed?
Brake Fluid. Shims. New pins.

Hi MK,

I'm in the same predicament mate. What i am fitting is only the front callipers at the moment though. I am just gonna remove the original calliper and leave it still connected to the brake line while i fit the new UK(disconnected from brake line) calliper and fasten in position with mounting bolts, then fit the wheel and check clearance if any. Hope this helps....

thanks guys for all your input.

Brake Fluid. Shims. New pins.

by shims you mean the shim kit for pads right? or is there something i dont know about?

Hi MK,

I'm in the same predicament mate. What i am fitting is only the front callipers at the moment though. I am just gonna remove the original calliper and leave it still connected to the brake line while i fit the new UK(disconnected from brake line) calliper and fasten in position with mounting bolts, then fit the wheel and check clearance if any. Hope this helps....

thats pretty much same here mate im just upgrading my fronts for now. will look into rears later on in the year.

Once i'm satisfied with fitment, then i will fit hoses.

i already have the stainless hoses as i fitted them the last time i changed pads and did a service.

Yeah the anti squeal shims that go between the back of the pad and the pistons, if you want to use them.

You've got the metal spring tensioner things, right?

Umm as far as i can remember.. will have to check when i get home to be certain though.