The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Successful Emanage Install - Who Has??

dandan

Has anyone actually fitted an Emanage to the mkiv yet?

Did Pete Betts ever fit and map one?

Has Matt H looked at the installation yet, I heard Matt was looking into it to iron out any electrical installation glitches?

I am currently trying to decide on ems route and the Emanage seems a perfect gap filler between SAFC and AEM. For my current and near future modifications it may be just what I need.

ALL input appreciated......

Fitted a full install, it worked first go, I've tuned the airflow map satisfactorily, haven't touched ignition timing yet but I have tested it and that function does work, currently I'm working on making the fuelling at high boost more accurate with the additional injector duty map.

I think it's brill. I think a standalone blank ECU is a lot of money to get a small improvement unless you are going racing. A blank ECU was a more viable option before the E-manage came along because the AFC and it's ilk are pretty pale compared to them.

As far as I know Pete hasn't seen one yet but I haven't spoken to him about it for a few months.

-Ian

Ian,

I'm glad you are happy with it as I believe you shared some of my initial reservations regarding the fact that is still relies on an airflow fudge factor.

What did you gor for, inj and ign harnesses, extra map sensor and harness, E-01? Did you splice onto wires around ecu or get hold of some sort of harness as below?

http://www.fantomfibrecations.com/main/projects/emanage_harness/

Any performance benefit? What was your main reason for fitting it, was it mainly to control larger injectors and added features were a bonus?

Originally posted by SimonB

How have you been tuning it, using a wide-band I presume? Do you drive around and log the data and then fiddle with the settings and repeat?

Yeeeahhhh, but therein lies a tale. Vortex Power have access to some beta software that allows you, amongst other handy features, to a) stick an extra input into the E-Manage and make it datalog it (i.e. a wideband O2 sensor), and b) export the datalog files into an Excel-readable format (you can't read the E-Manage logs in anything other than the GSC mapping software that comes with it, and that's via a clunky graph). This lets me see what's happening after say a 3rd gear power run or a through-town tootle, and I can adjust the map offline if I want, making it a much more relaxed affair.

You would need a rolling road, an O2 sensor with independant display, a second person who knew what they were doing, and a dedicated chunk of time setting the whole thing up otherwise.

I reckon this extra bit of software makes the E-Manage a fully blown home tuning solution rather than a buy-it-then-spend-£500-geting-it-mapped solution. And no, you can't have a copy of it cos Terry knows exactly who has it at the moment :p :D

-Ian

Originally posted by dandan

Ian,

I'm glad you are happy with it as I believe you shared some of my initial reservations regarding the fact that is still relies on an airflow fudge factor.

What did you gor for, inj and ign harnesses, extra map sensor and harness, E-01? Did you splice onto wires around ecu or get hold of some sort of harness as below?

http://www.fantomfibrecations.com/main/projects/emanage_harness/

Any performance benefit? What was your main reason for fitting it, was it mainly to control larger injectors and added features were a bonus?

Yeah, it was a discussion I had with Terry on this BBS, and the reports from Mohd that he got some VERY good results on a single turbo, and dammit the price of it was incredibly low for what it does as well. It controls ignition timing, and it can adjust fuelling beyond the usual airflow fudge by controlling the injectors directly, so it's ideal for anything on the street in my opinion.

I got the MAP sensor, ign and inj harnesses, I think they are essential, but sod the E01 as it doubles the price just for a crap front end, hmm, no thanks, I'll use me laptop :D

I got it for my single turbo upgrade but installed it early to cure my idle/stalling/running rich problems a buggered sAFC caused. I have an MVP fields harness, can't recommend them highly enough, and made my own connectors off that so I could easily wire anything in in moments. Pretty much like the pictures you showed me except I dymo labelled all the wires and have an AVCr plumbed into them as well.

Installing it on my hybrids has given me an easy learning curve as it's not a bonkers single turbo but an upgrade to the stock system, there are a few things that make your head hurt, especially as I'm new to mapping as well, but I'm confident I'll get the hang of it quickly enough.

-Ian

Thanks Ian, glad you are getting there.

Am I right in thinking you can install the Emanage (as long as you do nothing else) set it up for outr car, make no changes and everything will work as stock? Similar to the SAFC's?

Have you noticed any performance benefits or are you purely at the stage of ironing out problems?

Guest Terry S

The e-manage has great potential and with the likes of Ian playing with himself...sorry the the e-manage on a daily basis it will soon show it's true capabilities. As big C said there is some stealth software in the pipeline that make it a MUCH more attractive unit;)

Originally posted by dandan

Thanks Ian, glad you are getting there.

Am I right in thinking you can install the Emanage (as long as you do nothing else) set it up for outr car, make no changes and everything will work as stock? Similar to the SAFC's?

Have you noticed any performance benefits or are you purely at the stage of ironing out problems?

Yeah, all the idle and cold start and aircon idle-up and all that is controlled by the stock ECU still, and if you just plumb it in with everything zero'd then all of it will work as stock (but you can still monitor and datalog).

It's got a fuel cut function which means I'm selling my old FCD, so that's one benefit :) No performance benefits noticed yet as my car was set up pretty well within the boundaries of the AFC by Chris Wilson. I'd have to dyno it to see what was going on power-wise, I may be making or dropping a bit here and there but that's not my aim at the moment, it's more a learning curve excercise. And testing this extra software :)

-Ian

Guest Terry S

Dan e-mail me for prices and I need a bit more info. We would rather do these as supply install's. I am also trying to persuade Big C to become a part time mapper for some pin money, as I can't think of a better candidate.

Terry,

You've got my email address (AEM, AUtronic and Greddy discussions..?)

I did send you a full spec of my car a week or so ago on first email, I'm happy to email you again but need to know what you want to know. Did you see the thread I posted in the Voortex section re. this?

Also just sent you a pm..

I can't add much more than Ian has already said, but my first impressions of the unit are very positive.

Just need to get some time to play with it properly. But with Ian's help, the programming of it, shouldn't be too difficult.

The installation is obviously more involved than the plug 'n' play of an AEM, but it's not too bad. There can be 24 connections at the ECU, so IMO, it's better installed with an external harness.

I've got mine set up with the E-01, which means you don't need a lap top to program it, (this has pro's and cons both ways), but I have to say, the E-01 as a boost controller is far, far better than the DSBC I had before.

The system gets a :thumbs: from me so far.

I take it that is the Profec E-01 Matt?

I read on Mohd's site somewhere that the E-01 cannot be used for boost control, only for setting up E-Manage, is this correct? Perhaps it was referring to the E-01 as a standalone boost controller rather than when connected with the E-Manage?

Did you see the harness pic I attached? I believe hpf sell one very similar, not sure about anyone in the UK doing them though, fancy a go at doing some Matt?

Just waiting on Tel now for some prices (on different setups) and as long as it's ok insurance wise I think I'll go for it. :)

Nice one, thanks for clearing that up Matt.

Bit of a shame about the harness plugs, really I'd like some sort of harness so connection/removal is straightforward and does not pose issues with damaging existing wiring. I'd better get hunting for a harness too then!

Guest Terry S

FYI guys, Matt now has the car running with the 650cc direct replacement injectors we sell, so this is where the fun starts.