The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Not that technical but might be....

SuperSupra

Got a squeeky clutch, thought it would probably be a job for Mr WD40 but thought I'd check if this is a common thing or not first? Is it likely to be the cable? Or something else? The squeak is louder from the outside, telling me it's not simply the pedal itself.

Advice is appreciated. :)

There's a couple of things it could be but 1st thoughts would be the bearing the fork sits on.

Is it only happening when depressing/releasing the clutch? Does it only happen when moving or does it happen when stood still and slipping the clutch slightly?

Odds are it's the pivot point on the clutch fork as Homer suggested, or if it's inside the cabin then it's probably the hinge for the clutch pedal itself.

It's not that technical but seeing as I have a squeaky clutch pedal too it gets to stay :cool: :innocent:

I think mine is in the footwell, it's louder inside and inaudible as far as I know outside. Anyone got a fix that doesn't involve spraying WD40 over the pedals?

-Ian

My MR2 had the same problem, it was inside the bellhousing - managed to constuct a long WD40 style 'straw' attachment and get it in through the inspection hole, once carefully aimed I deposited a decent amount of clingy penetrating grease taking care to stay away from the clutch itself - it worked for a while and then eventually came back, I sold the car.

There's a couple of things it could be but 1st thoughts would be the bearing the fork sits on.

Is it only happening when depressing/releasing the clutch? Does it only happen when moving or does it happen when stood still and slipping the clutch slightly?

Happens all times mate when the clutch is depressed, occurs briefly around about half way pressed down. I thought it may simply be the pedal but then opened my door to realise it is quite loud from outside!!! :blink:

i spoke to a guy in a garage and he seems to think i might need to open gearbox up and libricate something in there, but like you i thought it was coming from the inside,but when you have your window down you realise! its a bit embarsing sometimes!

1.you can hear it just as loud on the inside and the outside, and its not the pedal as i have lubricated that...i think it sounds like somewhere between the pedal and the gearbox tbh but hard to tell.

2. it is when you press the clutch about quarter of the way down and you get it on te way back up and its more of a creak then a squeak

1.you can hear it just as loud on the inside and the outside, and its not the pedal as i have lubricated that...i think it sounds like somewhere between the pedal and the gearbox tbh but hard to tell.

2. it is when you press the clutch about quarter of the way down and you get it on te way back up and its more of a creak then a squeak

Ditto!!! Except mine is noticably louder on the outside but still very audible on the inside!

Well get it in the air and get a friend to find the location of the squeak that might help...

Bit like me saying "I've got a water leak" where will it be and how do i stop it?

Find where the noise is coming from (within reason) then people can help a little more.

No numbnuts it's nothing like saying that, I've said it's noticably louder outside and wanted a tip as to what the possible solution could be, not the exact milimeter as to where it was squeaking!

For example - "Yeah it's a common problem, squirt some WD40 on the blah dee blah dee blah..." or "You might need to replace the so and so part".

Was seeking advice, not a step by step guide to repair!

Here another user with the same problem! :(

Make a noise pinpointing device (a piece of plastic tube about 2 feet long that you can stick in your ear one end and point at parts of the clutch system the other).

Start inside the car and get someone to press the pedal while you listen to each part. If its not inside get the car up in the air and listen in and around the belhousing from underneath. Should find it.