The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cool internet speed tester

JamieP

this Sky Broadband, is it just Sky reselling regular BT ADSL?

I mean, my current broadband is with Pipex but it's all just using the BT equipment really. Is Sky the same?

The reason I'm asking is because BT reckon I can only get 1meg because I'm 100 meters too far from the exchange for 2 meg.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol - I would hazard a guess that my work COULD win this little work pipe war...after all we're hosting every Norwich Union Website....however, no one can run a test on it :( And the measly single pipe the employees use is soo throttled by Cable and Witless that we struggle to get sites up. Yet the pipe itself is huge (best to test at the weekend :D )

There are issues at the moment with speed dropping all over the place. I first noticed it on the 28th Dec then moreso with this speedtest.

I've been told by my provider that there is/was a BT problem which has now been fixed. I think I need to reboot my modem once a day for the next few days to get the speeds back up.

The problem lies with BT's Maxdsl. A couple of disconnects and it assumes the line is unstable and cuts your service right back to maintain stability. This can take only an hour but it takes 2-3 days to correct itself.

I've been looking at the forums for a number of providers and there are many people suffering this slowdown.

Fingers crossed it'll be back to normal soon.

Cool banana...

Did you have to do anything else in the end?

Well, it turned out to be a BT fault which they rectified without having to visit. Since then I've been trying to synch everything together in order for the line speed to go up. It eventually did this morning.

Turned the PC and router off for a minute, then powered up the router, let it settle and then powered the PC and voila! a nice download speed.

Interestingly, I can't run this speedtest in Firefox, nor the BT test or any others. I'm assuming it's a FF issue though and I'm not worried about it.

Sorry to bring this back up but my connection has been really slow recently so thought id run the test, i got a 2Mb Blueyonder line and its running at under a 1Mb at the moment. When i tested it the other week (ie when this was first linked) i was running at 2Mb. I have installed a router recently but im sure it was before i checked the first time. Could the router be slowing the connection down or is more likely to be a prob at Telewest's end. Not changed anything else on the computer.

lol - I would hazard a guess that my work COULD win this little work pipe war...after all we're hosting every Norwich Union Website....however, no one can run a test on it :( And the measly single pipe the employees use is soo throttled by Cable and Witless that we struggle to get sites up. Yet the pipe itself is huge (best to test at the weekend :D )

Bet you couldnt...... ;)

we have an STM-4 , i wont say how much bandwidth that gives for fear of causing penis envy.

Pipex rip off 1000 connection £24 a month with no upgrades in sight !!

Mike

On the same line here, just run the test and got 512 down and 245 upload, but I'm running this on my laptop so not sure if that's effecting it. Will try it again when I've got my main computer sorted! :(

• 3 weeks later...