The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Digital/SLR Camera Question.

Class One

I currently own a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5 digital camera.

I purchased it last year after jumping on the digital bandwagon (at too hastily upon reflection) and chopped in my Canon 300v SLR to purchase it.

Now don't get me wrong the Panasonic is a good digital camera, but I have to admit that i really miss my Canon SLR.

What I want to ask is, are digital cameras now upto the spec and abilities of say a 300v? As I really hate the press the shutter button waiting for the camera to "think" before it fires a shot off.

How much do you have to invest in a digital camera to acheive the results that you can with an old skool SLR?

TBH, most of the digital SLR's will give you instant shots, depending on how quick the motor is in the lens for focusing.

I have a Canon Digital Rebel (300D) which I upgraded to a 10D a while back. Both cameras are almost identical apart from a few things. The 300D's can be picked up for around £150 for the body and from £75 for lenses (worth investing in - as the cheap lenses will give you very 'soft' images compared to higher quality optics.)

Most people are now obsessed by the MEGA pixel issues - but the 6. something that these cameras produce is simply brilliant.

People always say they can spot a picture taken on a digital camera, but TBH they're missing the point.

Not sure if you kept any of your old lenses, but I guess there's a possibility they could fit a canon digital???

Check out http://www.sxc.hu/browse.phtml?f=gallery&l=nstammers

These were taken on my 10D, which as I said before is basically the same as the 300d.

The only downside - size. They're big o'l bits of kit to lump around, but the results are well worth it.

Your looking at serious money to getting near the same results as film, the reason digital has come in so fast is that silver is now running out. You'll never be able to get the same results as a 5x4 camera on digital the quality is just not there.

Theres definately pros and cons of both digital and wet photography but dont worry digital photography is picking up fast.

Have a look at your lenses if you want speed then get a f2.8 lense.

:yeahthat:

The shutter delay isn't at all noticeable on something like a 300D or a 350D Canon. (I have noticed the delay that you are refering to in some cameras) I have a 350D and I just bought Angie a 300D second-hand off Ebay. Both are excellent and I'd recommend either to you. The 400D which has now superceded the 350D is said to be very good too, but don't chase the mega-pixel numbers for the sake of it - it's just a headline-grabber to get the punters to buy.

Here's some pics from Le Mans 2005/2006. ('cos I know you like this sort of thing!!)

Your looking at serious money to getting near the same results as film, the reason digital has come in so fast is that silver is now running out. You'll never be able to get the same results as a 5x4 camera on digital the quality is just not there.

Theres definately pros and cons of both digital and wet photography but dont worry digital photography is picking up fast.

Have a look at your lenses if you want speed then get a f2.8 lense.

I'd say that rather depends on the purpose of your photography. If you're wanting to take pro-shots for commercial use, then you're going to be spending serious money anyway. It also depends on the film that you are using and how you process it.

For most of us who are at the end of the day, keen amatuers & enthusiasts, a decemt digital SLR at the low to mid end of the spectrum is absolutely fine. I have 8Mp pics blown up to 18" x 12" by a professional lab without any signs of pixelation whatsoever.

I'd say that's not bad at all for what I want to use the camera for. (I've only spent about £1200 on my kit.)

I agree if your just an amateur or dabble in photography then theres no need to pay big bucks as long as your getting good results that make you happy at the end of the day its the person behind the camera that makes a good photo.

On another note, im visiting my parents and this computer is so bl**dy slow it wont even let me put smileys down... rant over lol

Ive had my fair share of digital cameras over the years. I jumped onto the digital bandwagon, back in the days when 1megapixel cameras where all the rage.

Ive used a Nikon D1X with Nikkor lenses, SB800 flash unit for quite a few years now. I believe the D200 is a good buy from the current crop of new digital SLR bodies. Im waiting for the D2X to drop a bit more price before I change mine. The D1x has done me proud and never failed to get the shot just how I want it.

Ive had my fair share of digital cameras over the years. I jumped onto the digital bandwagon, back in the days when 1megapixel cameras where all the rage.

Ive used a Nikon D1X with Nikkor lenses, SB800 flash unit for quite a few years now. I believe the D200 is a good buy from the current crop of new digital SLR bodies. Im waiting for the D2X to drop a bit more price before I change mine. The D1x has done me proud and never failed to get the shot just how I want it.

Mate once youve used the D2x you wont want to touch the D1x ever again, recently I had to go back to using the D1x and man what a pain in the arse I was pressing buttons that weren't even there lol