The mkiv Supra Owners Club

KN drop in filter, your experiences?

bodilx6

Lots of dirt and dust on the turbo side of the filter after only 400km of use. I found it to be a piece of crap removed it and sold it for a loss of $100. I now have a TRD, cost me less, and very happy with it.

K&N are rubish and only fit for the bin.

Lots of dirt and dust on the turbo side of the filter after only 400km of use. I found it to be a piece of crap removed it and sold it for a loss of $100. I now have a TRD, cost me less, and very happy with it.

Hmmm. I've used a K&N filter panel for over 3 years and never had any issues....

Did you oil it????

Without the red oil then there's nothing to stop the dirt getting through the gaps in the cotton weave. Oil makes it swell up, fill the gaps & is super sticky to catch all the dirt particles.

I've Used K&N's on Jag XJ220 race engines, Aston Martin DB7, (ok, they weren't my cars exactly) Westfield SEight, Minis, VW 5 cylinder Passat, Jaguar 3.2, Suzuki GSX250, Ford Focus TDCi, Supra...... and never had any problems with dirt entering the engine. Oil analysis to prove it too :search:

OK you guys with K&N panel filters. Take the filter out and put a smear of grease on the ducting panel of the air box, replace the filter, then drive around for a few hundred Kms. Then run your finger thru the grease smear and you will see and feel the grit that the grease has picked up then you will be believers. Think to your selves there's a lot of grit in this small smear how much is going into my engine.

Then in the UK it rains so much there's no dust and dirt on the roads. Therefore not needing any filter just a mesh screen to stop small birds and such.

Here in Oz we do have dirt and dust on our roads and K&N filters are crap the same as your cricket team.

I changed my stock filter for another stock, before putting it in I gave the engine a good rev to see how it sounded, brill with no filter, sounded like there was an after market BOV and the great sucking noise.:D

It made me really tempted to get after market induction, its just that everybody says they are crap on a HOT Supra:(

the apexi filters (induction kit or element) are supposed to be the best aftermarket air filter for performance increase and filtration. theres a web site I looked at recently that tested ther apexi, HKS, Blitz, K&N and a couple others and the apexi won hands down. However I would think that the stock paper element would be better for filtration but not power (obviously). But after seeing the test results I would use the Apexi (and Iv bought one) but Im not being bias, just what I found on the web and thats what I based my decision on. Hope that helps

OK you guys with K&N panel filters. Take the filter out and put a smear of grease on the ducting panel of the air box, replace the filter, then drive around for a few hundred Kms. Then run your finger thru the grease smear and you will see and feel the grit that the grease has picked up then you will be believers. Think to your selves there's a lot of grit in this small smear how much is going into my engine.

Then in the UK it rains so much there's no dust and dirt on the roads. Therefore not needing any filter just a mesh screen to stop small birds and such.

Here in Oz we do have dirt and dust on our roads and K&N filters are crap the same as your cricket team.

OUCH (but so true) like your footie team right. I see what your saying, makes sense.

As you are talking about filters, i will hijack topic for a sec. I have mushroom HKS kit (yes i know, so spare me comments) with green foam filter - should I put anything on this foam filter (oil, whatever) or leave it as it is?

I'd put all the other household rubbish on it, once I'd put it in the bin, where it belongs :D

So how does the apexi cone feel to YOU and YOU ONLY Chris?

Does it feel a bit more responsive than the stock airbox?Sluggish? I know it will sound a bit better :)

It does feel a bit more responsive, looks great and you can hear the turbo whine a little more :) also the dump valve is a little louder. Personaly I would think any aftermarket filter is going to be better for performance over stock whether it be an element or open cone, filtration is the only factor really. The Foam types like HKS are supposed to be the worst followed by the stainless steel mesh type like Blitz or powertec. Any cotton type filter should provide excellent filtration qualities (K&N, Green, Apexi) the only difference is that K&N use a 'wet' filter (use oil to help catch particals) and the Apexi is a 'dry' type cotton filter. The negitive od using a wet filter is that the oil used 'can' over time clog sensors which can lead to the ECU picking up wrong signals and messing up the air to fuel ratio etc. their are no disadvantages to a dry filter apart from they may not offer the same filtration properties as the standard paper filter but from what i researched a while ago my mind was put at rest when I found that the apexi filter does filter the air really well and offers a really good performance gain. I find it very good. I'll dry and find a link to the web page but cant promise anything.