The mkiv Supra Owners Club

PC Help needed :(

Graham S

The other day our PC decided to take a turn for the worst, all of a sudden when my other half was writting a email it just switched itself off, no warning, nothing. When I came home from work I switched it back on and got the option screen saying 'safe mode, start normally' etc. First tried normal, and let it load, but nothing, just goes as far as the windows xp black screen with the scrolling blue bar underneath and stays there.. So restarted in safe mode, then tried restoring it back a week, still the same.. Took some advice from Joe, who has been extremely helpful and a few of his ideas have worked for other things but still no joy!

Joe suggested i'll have get a new version of XP as the version we have is not exactly legit!! Thing is, we have 2 computers in the house and both have this 'dodgy' copy of XP, so....

If I get a new genuine copy of XP Pro, can I install it to both and use the same licence number for both computers?? and what options do I have?? Where is the best place to get a genuine XP Pro?

Again a big thank you to Gamer for all his help and patience so far! :thumbs:

If I get a new genuine copy of XP Pro, can I install it to both and use the same licence number for both computers?? and what options do I have?? Where is the best place to get a genuine XP Pro?

I've never heard of a NON GENUINE copy of windows faultering like that - cause at the end of the day, the WinXP CD is same, the only difference is that one has a genuine key and the other doesnt. :innocent:

ditto imi..

Best bet, i'd say, is to use the WinXP CD and run a windows repair on the PC. Checkdisk on the HDD as well (from repair console on WinXP CD) might also clear up any problems in the boto sequence.

My mate actually has exactly the same problem, and I'm supposed to be fixing it next week. If you haven't solved it by then, I'll let you know how I got on. But if you have solved it, let me know so i know what to do :)

microsoft have introduced a new thing now, where you cannot recieve updates and service packs without a genuine key.

And how does that explain the issues that you were having with your PC?

I have SP2 so you dont need to use WindowsUpdate for that.

Now if you want to continue receiving those updates, then yes a genuine key is the easiest way to go about it, else apparently there is a way around it. (Joe knows)

To be honest you should have a genuine copy of xp anyway but with vista out in jan, i wouldnt bother. Just wait for that. I doubt highly that it caused the issues.

My guesses are

1. Virus - but less likely than you think

2. Currupted hard drive from a power surge, maybe ok on reformat - could be fooked though

3. Dodgey powersupply has damaged something, most likely the memory.

Without looking at it I could not tell you what to do. However Everything is usually fixable just as in a car. I suspect hard drive though. Sounds like it has been currupted.

Make sure you reformat the master boot record as well as a virus may have got in there. Look on the net for info.

To be honest you should have a genuine copy of xp anyway but with vista out in jan, i wouldnt bother. Just wait for that. I doubt highly that it caused the issues.

I personally would STAY CLEAR of Vista - at least for a while.

Its still not as stable as it should be, same as any operating system that comes out, apps aren't all guaranteed to work on it (yet) and you need a high powered PC to get the best out of it (lots of RAM, decent GFX card etc)

I've never heard of a NON GENUINE copy of windows faultering like that - cause at the end of the day, the WinXP CD is same, the only difference is that one has a genuine key and the other doesnt. :innocent:

Yeh mate, basically a neighbour gave me a copy of XP with loads of additional programs already installed when I built our PC (well he did most of it!! Big thanks to that person!), its a slightly different version to the normal XP but wouldn't like to say what it is incase he might get into trouble from where it came from or something, but end of the day, it looks almost identical so yeh its probably just a different key!!

it is possible yes.

you may have to phone them second time though

I found XP Pro for sale on ebuyer, that also comes with a free coupon to upgrade to Vista when it comes out. I'm happy to buy a genuine copy and get it installed but both our PC and laptop could do with being genuine as they are both no longer eligable for updates but can't afford to buy 2 copies to go on 2 machines. Could I install it on 1 machine then onto 2nd machine. What would I say to microsoft if I call them?? If I tell them it broke and had to re-install it again would they not know its going on a different machine as don't all computers have their own unique number or something.... Sorry i'm not very good at programming stuff!!

Big thanks to you both!

Graham, I do not know if this is beyond your technical expertise but if both computers in the house are using the same type of ram you might want to try swapping some from the good machine to the bad and see if that helps. Make sure you discharge any static electricity build up by touching the metal case before touching the ram, especially if you are on a carpeted floor.

I feel like it is a driver issue though as you can boot up into safe mode.

I found XP Pro for sale on ebuyer, that also comes with a free coupon to upgrade to Vista when it comes out. I'm happy to buy a genuine copy and get it installed but both our PC and laptop could do with being genuine as they are both no longer eligable for updates but can't afford to buy 2 copies to go on 2 machines. Could I install it on 1 machine then onto 2nd machine. What would I say to microsoft if I call them?? If I tell them it broke and had to re-install it again would they not know its going on a different machine as don't all computers have their own unique number or something.... Sorry i'm not very good at programming stuff!!

Big thanks to you both!

You are allowed to install it on more then one computer in your household. ;)

Highly unlikely to be anything to do with your copy of XP IMO.

First thing I would try would be to go into you BIOS when the PC boots (usually by pressing ESC or F2 as the PC is booting. You should see a message saying "Press [KEY] to enter Setup" -Basically, press that).

You will see a blue screen with various options. On the right-hand side (probably) there will be an option to 'Load Fail-Safe Defaults'. Do that, save when it prompts and restart. See if that does anything. I'm just wondering if there is a temp sensor or something like that which has caused the PC to shut off.

Failing that, just boot up with the Windows CD in the drive and re-install. Windows re-installs and keeps all of your files and data intact. It may be a corrupted Windows boot-file that is halting Windows when it's trying to initiate. A re-install will replace that file (if that's the prob) and should let you back in. If it asks you to format .... DON'T! ;)

Right, I left the PC unplugged from the mains all day whilst at work, turned it back on this evening and would only work in safe mode again, put it into restore again and it started up to the windoes screen again as before then blue screened twice, restared and worked!!

So its now turned on and working ok. But I know if i turn it off it won't come on again.

Anything I can do while its on and working??

A similar thing happened to me it was getting far as the windows logo and stopped on the black screen but it would still let me start in safe mode. In the end it was my cable modem i just turned it off at the wall then back on then it started fine. This has happened a few times now and i just turn the modem off and on at the wall and its ok.

I'm just wondering if there is a temp sensor or something like that which has caused the PC to shut off.

When I built it I put in a temperature monitor thingy that has temps of HDD, SYS and CPU, and all seems to be normal as it hasn't set any alarms off!

Speaking to Joe last night he mentioned as it sounded alot louder than normal to take the covers off and clean the dust out! Jesus, its only a few months old and both myself and my fiancee have never seen so much dust, so blew off the dust and its almost silent now!! Think I owe Joe a drink for all his help in the last week. Top man:thumbs:

A similar thing happened to me it was getting far as the windows logo and stopped on the black screen but it would still let me start in safe mode. In the end it was my cable modem i just turned it off at the wall then back on then it started fine. This has happened a few times now and i just turn the modem off and on at the wall and its ok.

Thats exactly whats happening, will try that in the morning when I turn it back on again!

perhaps the fan is faulty causing the CPU to overheat and hence the windows crashing..

Does it crash in safe mode too after a little while???

Haven't left it in safe mode long enough to find out but on the top of our screen is a 'stat bar' that says how the computer is running, over the last week or so its been running at 100% CPU using about 700ish meg of ram? (have 1gig total). Since Joe said to clean the dust out its dropped to around 7%!!!!!! and its almost silent too!

So possibly overheated??

No, it is software problem then if CPU was working most of time on 100% and using that high amount of RAM memory. I would put my money on some kind of virus or trojan. Something is turning your computer onto zombie and using up all your resources to do God knows what :p Good start would be to run some anti trojan program like Adaware - this one suppose to work in safe mode too.

PS. Overheating was just effect of high CPU load.

No, it is software problem then if CPU was working most of time on 100% and using that high amount of RAM memory. I would put my money on some kind of virus or trojan. Something is turning your computer onto zombie and using up all your resources to do God knows what :p Good start would be to run some anti trojan program like Adaware - this one suppose to work in safe mode too.

PS. Overheating was just effect of high CPU load.

Pretty sure we have that already mate, think it was the rediculous amount of dust in the heat sink of the processor as i cleaned it out last night and its come down to almost 0 when on 'idle'..

Would it be a good idea to get a genuine copy of XP, copy all our stuff to the laptop and reinstall it again so we can have proper updates etc?

Any ideas of the cheapest/best place to get it from?

Haven't left it in safe mode long enough to find out but on the top of our screen is a 'stat bar' that says how the computer is running, over the last week or so its been running at 100% CPU using about 700ish meg of ram? (have 1gig total). Since Joe said to clean the dust out its dropped to around 7%!!!!!! and its almost silent too!

So possibly overheated??

Quite possibly...

As far as a virus, You might want to go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ and run the free online scan just for piece of mind.

Pretty sure we have that already mate, think it was the rediculous amount of dust in the heat sink of the processor as i cleaned it out last night and its come down to almost 0 when on 'idle'..

Would it be a good idea to get a genuine copy of XP, copy all our stuff to the laptop and reinstall it again so we can have proper updates etc?

Any ideas of the cheapest/best place to get it from?

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/119646

Does not seem to bad....