The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car won't start

Jake

have you tried disconnecting the battery, leaving it off for a few minutes and re-connecting? - It's possible something could have 'spiked' when you charged the battery.
I've taken the battery off to charge it a couple of times this last week, obviously me keep trying to start the engine makes the battery go flat quite fast

I assume the MAF has been ditched and the MoTeC is running from MAP sensor now?
I guess so, there's no MAF sensor thing on the intake pipe.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps one of those battery conditioner jobbies would be a good buy? As used on classic cars / kits etc. Keeps it topped up.

I'd steer away from them if I were you. I used one on my stock car and it did strange things to the (stock) stereo.

I now have two batteries for the car. One on the car, running down, and the other fully charged ready to go on when I want to take it out the garage.

OK, so what have we got? Jake can you look at these and make sure they are accurate:

The problem occurred after a week of inactivity and the battery had flattened

The engine turns over but doesn't even try to fire

Fuel pressure is OK

Fuel is being delivered

It's sparking, but actual ignition timing is unknown - however there are no backfires

Fresh spark plugs don't change the behaviour at all

Igniter pack has been swapped

Battery has been recharged

It's got to be something that affects all 6 cylinders at once, but with both fuel and spark I'm stumped :blink: Unless far far too much fuel is going in or something...

Ooh, Jake, you could try making a note of your fuel pressure and adjusting it down say 10psi and seeing if it makes a difference? If not, try another 10psi. Failing that, go back to what it was +10psi and then +20psi. This will crudely compensate for too much or not enough fuel scenarios, and at least change the sound of the engine turning over if not let it catch, if that's the problem.

-Ian

OK, so what have we got? Jake can you look at these and make sure they are accurate:

The problem occurred after a week of inactivity and the battery had flattened

The engine turns over but doesn't even try to fire

Fuel pressure is OK

Fuel is being delivered

It's sparking, but actual ignition timing is unknown - however there are no backfires

Fresh spark plugs don't change the behaviour at all

Igniter pack has been swapped

Battery has been recharged

That's all correct. It did backfire two seperate times but that was a few days ago, now it doesn't show any signs of firing at all.

It's got to be something that affects all 6 cylinders at once, but with both fuel and spark I'm stumped :blink: Unless far far too much fuel is going in or something...

Ooh, Jake, you could try making a note of your fuel pressure and adjusting it down say 10psi and seeing if it makes a difference? If not, try another 10psi. Failing that, go back to what it was +10psi and then +20psi. This will crudely compensate for too much or not enough fuel scenarios, and at least change the sound of the engine turning over if not let it catch, if that's the problem.

OK I'll see if I can figure out how to do that. I guess there's an adjuster on the Aeromotive FPR right?

Yep, you use a spanner to slacken off the nut on top while holding the allen bolt still with an allen key, then screw in the allen bolt to raise the pressure or slacken it off to lower it. Once you've got a pressure, you holt the bolt still again and tighten the nut up.

You don't need to be accurate for these tests though, only when putting it back.

I assume you've got the little gauge on the FPR which you used to check the pressure before. Do you know how to fire up the fuel system without the engine running so you can set the pressure?

-Ian

Ah! Upon closer inspection I now believe that it's NOT getting fuel through to the cylinders :blush:

I've taken all the plugs out to do a compression test and I noticed that the plugs are actually bone dry. When I took one plug out the other day it looked damp but now I can see that they aren't wet at all. They do smell faintly of petrol but I suppose they would. Even holding a cigarette lighter flame to a plug doesn't make it catch fire.

Next I'm going to swap the 2 fuel injection relays from inside the fusebox of my other Supe.

Any other suggestions?

Sorry about the previous duff info and thanks for the continued help.

Jake, I use a simple (but crude) way of checking fuel supply. Remove one of your vacuum pipes from the plenum and inject around 10cc of fuel by syringe (sp) as some one cranks the engine.

If it fires, runs and dies its a fuel supply problem (Injectors not firing/locked?)

HTH :)

IT'S ALIVE!!!

Well fuck me! I put the "EFI Main" and "EFI Num2" fusebox relays from the grey car into this one, bunged the plugs back in and it started first time! I can't understand how come the grey car is running fine on the relays from the problem car though :conf:

Thank gawd for that.

Cheers guys.

:) About bloody time too!
Yeah well it wasn't exactly a normal problem, was it.

I'm sure you could have sorted it in 5 mins though ;)

Freak problems like this, the ones that nobody else ever has, are getting to be my speciality.

e.g. faulty FPR vacuum hose leading to blown engine - ever heard of anyone else having that?

e.g. faulty FPR vacuum hose leading to blown engine - ever heard of anyone else having that?

You're (almost) not alone there. Had that happen to me thanks to a slow dog bodge on the pressure line; it lasted one lap of the Bedford aerodrome GT curcuit (4.6miles).

Somehow iIt's still running :innocent: