The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Misused words

CJ

As an old and pedantic git (this must be true as I am twice the age of Garetheves and he is a Granddad :p ) with nothing better to do today, I decided to post a quick write up to show the differences between some of the easily misspelt or misused words that frequently pop up in members posts.

Your - You're

Your - Is that your car?

You're - [as chanted at football grounds in the 70's] You're going to get your f*cking head kicked in.

As you can see, the latter is a shortening of "you are" whereas the former is a word all on its own.

Its - It's

Its - can be used all on its own (see above).

It's - It's imperative that you use the correct fuel in your cars

Again, the former being a word on its (see what I did there) own and the latter a shortening of it is.

Brakes - Breaks

Breaks - These can be taken during the day to relive yourself from tedium of work. e.g I need several breaks a day from reading inane drivel posted on car forums otherwise I go loopy!

Brakes - I need to use my brakes carefully during the winter months otherwise I will find myself spending a shit load of money with Miami GT.

Two - Too - To

Two - I have two balls in my sack (one would hope being said by a male human)

Too - I have those too (as above)

To - I am going to have to go (two for the price of one there - in fact, three.)

As you can see, the word two refers to a number of items or events (namely more than one but less than three), the word too is used instead of as well or also and the word to is used in shit loads of places. An example of all three being used in one sentence would be:

I am going to leave you two too as, to be honest, you are frightening me as much as you are the others.

Their - They're - There

Their - Their use of English grammar beggars belief

They're - They're an absolute disgrace

There - There is an idiot posting crap on the car forum again!

I hope this short public announcement proves to be of use in the coming months. Somehow, I doubt it :D

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Accept - I accept to take £2K off you to buy bits for my Supra.

Except - I do like most Jap cars except Chaved up ones

:D

JUST NOTICED THAT CHARLOTTE PICKED UP ON THE SAME.....HOW WEIRD? Looks like I have made a mental connection with charlotte :hug:

Racist.

This word is misused as a default defence against an otherwise fully undefendable act. "You have stolen that item and punched that person, it's on camera, you are under arrest" -> "Police are racist"

Here are some more:

Breech/Breach

"They have breached the walls"

"Make sure you have a round in your breech"

Bumper/Bumber

"I've bought a Stillen front bumper!"

"I can't spell bumper!"

-Ian

Racist.

This word is misused as a default defence against an otherwise fully undefendable act. "You have stolen that item and punched that person, it's on camera, you are under arrest" -> "Police are racist"

Here are some more:

Breech/Breach

"They have breached the walls"

"Make sure you have a round in your breech"

Bumper/Bumber

"I've bought a Stillen front bumper!"

"I can't spell bumper!"

-Ian

:rlol:

whats the correct use of the term racist?