The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I think my tubby and stem seals are shot

DannoSupra

Starting it up in the morning, a poof of smoke, well a small cloud i shud say

And after 20miles of driving normally 70-80mph, when stationary at a junction... WOW!!!! BIG cloud of blue/grey smoke! Oops!

Am i right in saying that the both my Turbo and Stem seals are nakerd?

Btw, it dsnt use any oil at all!!!! Strange...

Is it worth me doing a leakdown test?

cheers people :thumbs:

It could be one or the other or both.

Usually stems seals are apparent first thing in the morning as the oil builds up over night. This oil burns off when you start it hence smoke.

Usually this will clear quite quickly.

Turbo seals are more apparent when stationary in traffic as you describe also. Sometimes removing cats & original exhaust can high light these problems partially due to less back pressure etc.

IT's very difficult to diagnose properly without having a leak down test done to rule out the stem seals first.

It could be one or the other or both.

Usually stems seals are apparent first thing in the morning as the oil builds up over night. This oil burns off when you start it hence smoke.

Usually this will clear quite quickly.

Turbo seals are more apparent when stationary in traffic as you describe also. Sometimes removing cats & original exhaust can high light these problems partially due to less back pressure etc.

IT's very difficult to diagnose properly without having a leak down test done to rule out the stem seals first.

Exactamundo! my cars' fully de-catted, i'll do a leak down 2moz if i get a chance... cheers for the info people, very much appreciated!

From my understanding a leak down test is a test of how much compressed air leaks out off the cylinder IE: testing for ring and valve seat leakage.

What has this got to do with valve stem seals which are not on the compression side of the combustion chamber?

Steve

From my understanding a leak down test is a test of how much compressed air leaks out off the cylinder IE: testing for ring and valve seat leakage.

What has this got to do with valve stem seals which are not on the compression side of the combustion chamber?

Steve

You are correct, a leakdown test could be brilliant with no stem seals on the guides at all.