The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Pair of 256 Cams

Soop Dogg

I have a pair of used but polished 256 cams that I bought from MKIVStore about a year ago and never fitted. They are pretty much new. In light of the fact that I am selling up in the near future, these are now for sale.

They were oiled etc when I received them, and are still wrapped up from then, so they are still in the condition they were in when they left MKIVStore.

Looking for £225 including insured postage.

Any pics..? and what sort of power gains could be had from these..? I have some HKS adjustable pulleys ready to go on as well. Also what make are these cams..?

I can put some pics up tomorrow night. As I never fitted them, I'm not sure on the power gains - apart from which it would probably depend on what else you have fitted.

To be honest, chasing the last few BHP is not what cams are really about - they're more about stopping the engine running out of power in the upper areas of the rev-range by allowing a bit more volume fuel/air mix into the chamber by having higher lift, and letting this increased volume of fuel/air mix enter the chamber for a longer period with increased duration.

So, the power will continue higher up the revs, which in top gear will see some extra horsepower, but you'd be better asking IanC for more info on quantifying this, I'm afraid. He's done quite a bit of tinkering with cams and looking at the effects on the dyno graph.

There isn't a name cast on the cams I'm afraid, but then I haven't seen a set of HKS or anything like that out of the car in the past anyway.

Sorry, I didn't get the pics up tonight, I had to go out. I'll do it tomorrow I promise!

I'm waiting for Lucifer to get back to me with some details.

It must be said that these were NOT bought from MKivStore but from me personally as MKivStore didnt even exist then!

I bought them from another member, I had them polished and oiled and bagged. Never fitted by me, I was told they had 35k Miles on them IIRC.

Over and above that, I dont know anything else.

Pardon? Noise on idle? I think you're thinking of a lumpy idle that comes with wild cams.

These arn't wild and the idle will still be smooth (and quiet).

SHould release 30-50HP with the right mods on stockers.

And the make is known they are HKS....just Brian thought Martin had sold them to him as part of MKIVSTORE which was incorrect.

So make is unknown lol, just HKS can be a little noisy on idle, and was advised that Tomei (think thats spelt right) are the cams to go for.

Untrue providing they are Shimmed correctly of course, you cant just "bung" cams in and hope they work, your just asking for burnt valves.

And of course they need to be dialled in properly.

This is turning into a confusing nightmare..... :blink:

Not sure how :) With the stock cam gears you have precisely one way of installing the cams, no degreeing necessary (unless you skip a belt tooth and if you achieve that you should sell your toolbox and step away from the engine bay).

That will give you stock cam timings, barring of course the earlier opening and later closing due to the wider cam profile.

The stock cam setup chokes the engine above 5500rpm. I know the 256in/264ex setup lets it breath cleanly up to the 6800rpm redline. People have had good results with 264/264 setups as well. I don't know of a 256/256 setup at the moment but I know it's going to be better than the stockers.

Due to the less-efficient cylinder filling on stock cams in the upper rev ranges, you would be advised to get some fuelling checks done of some sort with wider cams. Why? Because the manifold pressure will stay the same, and therefore your current fuelling solution will use the same duty cycle, but the cylinders will get in more of the air from the manifold, so you'll need more fuel to go with this.

The idle is fine on 256in/264ex so with slightly less overlap you'll be hard pushed to notice. A noisy valvetrain means they need shimming properly which you'll have to do with installing a new cam anyway, so do it properly the first time ;)

Hope that clears up some of the issues, now buy them already, they are a barg. By the way if anyone wants a 272 intake... :rolleyes:

-Ian

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.