The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Someone nicked my credit card details!

JamesG

Just had a look at my online credit card statement and there's a couple of items that are nothing to do with me. So someone has obviously got hold of my credit card details!

Has this happened to anyone on here? Asking around, I know at least three other people this has happened to recently. I reckon it must be online - probably some unscrupulous employee of a company I bought something from.

Amazingly, I phoned HSBC and the woman didn't cancel my card straightaway. Looks like the payments will be "investigated" and they will get back to me. I guess it's their loss when my account gets used again!

Guest Nicholas
Just had a look at my online credit card statement and there's a couple of items that are nothing to do with me. So someone has obviously got hold of my credit card details!

Has this happened to anyone on here? Asking around, I know at least three other people this has happened to recently. I reckon it must be online - probably some unscrupulous employee of a company I bought something from.

Amazingly, I phoned HSBC and the woman didn't cancel my card straightaway. Looks like the payments will be "investigated" and they will get back to me. I guess it's their loss when my account gets used again!

Did you ask them to cancel the card?

No, perhaps I should have done, but they are free to deal with this any way they see fit. It's the banks money, not my money getting stolen.

She spent most of the phone call trying to sell me HSBC Card Guard for 20 quid/year. Poor form considering it's the banks and online retailers shoddy practices that cause problems like this.

It has happened to my girlfriend twice this year, once on her debit card and once on her credit card. We at first thought it must have been from using it on the internet but then discovered from someone in her block of flats that it had happened to several people in the block. We can only assume it was rubbish trawling scum. In both cases she got everything back, but also in both cases her cards were cancelled from the first call to the bank and new ones issued.

this happened to my son, his was cloned, he also with hsbc they cancelled card straight away, reported to police went into local branch gave him money back straight into his account on condition if it was found to be his fault he would repay. within 2 weeks letter saying was a fraud case police investigating and they gave him a credit for 100 quid for inconvienience. he was well chuffed, police found out goods ordered with his card were delivered and signed for to address in wales. i phoned one of companies on the statement they gave me name and address of where goods were delivered to, handed over to police also in wales. we live in suffolk amazing how details are passed so quickly as all ordered on same day as last time he used it.

Someone i know had there's swiped at a restaurant! They take it away and copy it etc.

HSBC were a bunch of bastards when this happened to me...

They sent me a fraud investigation form with questions such as 'How do you think it happened'... and such.. when blatantly there was a big thing happening in the Basingstoke area...Almost as though they reckoned it was me...

Was certainly not impressed with the way they handled it, it took 4 weeks to get my cash back as well...

Yeah I've been with HSBC a long time and never had any problems.

Just checked my credit card again and there were two more unauthorised transactions. I phoned them and yet again they said they would "investigate". I told them to cancel the card and send me a new one, which they are now doing.

Happened to me recently too :(

Got a call from Natwest to say that they had cancelled my card. Apparently the police are investigating a well known 'local retailer' for card scamming. They told Natwest that I had been into this retailer, so Natwest cancelled my card just incase. I was actually very impressed with how fast Natwest were to tell me, cancel my card and get me a new one. Luckily I never had any money taken.

The annoying thing is that they wouldn't tell me where it happened, and I could quite easily go back in there with my new card! They did tell me that it WASN'T online and that is WASN'T a cash machine. They told me that it was somewhere that I physically walked into, and handed my card over. Which narrows it down to 1 of 3 places: -

Tescos in Addlestone

Shell in Ottershaw (Trident)

BP in Shepperton

Pretty much everyone I have ever known has been scammed at one time or another in a BP garage. It's scary how many people it's happened to, so I was convinced that was the culprit. Then the guy next to me at work had his card cancelled by Natwest for the same reason ..... He's never been to BP. :blink:

That narrowed it down to Tescos or Shell. It really isn't likely to be Tescos. I remember being in there and it was some doddery old woman serving me! So ... we reckon it's the Shell garage in Ottershaw (near Chertsey) as we both go there. Thing is, I know the guys in there, we chat about the car all the time, so it's a bit strange. But I always go in there at the same time of day, so it may well be some dodgy character on the graveyard shift that is doing the scamming, and the other guys are totally unaware. Either way, my card never leaves my hand now :p :p

Cheers, J

Pretty much everyone I have ever known has been scammed at one time or another in a BP garage.

:amen: Mine got stolen this year and I'm 90% sure it was at a BP garage in the midlands. I never usually use my CC for petrol but for some reason handed it over - a few days later HSBC cancelled it automatically and the transactions they'd made never even appeared on my account - so personally I can't fault them!

I'm sure it was BP because they apparantly didn't have my 3 digit security number, so were trying to use their mates at local shops to push the purchases through without it :banghead: If the details had been stolen online then they'd definately have the security code too.

Guest MAD MAND

hi we had a problem this year someone tryed to order stuff off internet for boots.com only noticed as the cheeky f*** tryed to order over £100 three times in one day.. Oh yeh we with HSBC as well and have been for a long time we had monies given back and its being investigated(spelling) we only use credit cards or cash now you have more cover with credit cards and its not being taken out your pocket!!!

Sister in law recently had four fraudulent £200 debits from her card for Ladbrokes. She got her money back eventually, but was a bit miffed when the card companty rang her to go through other 'suspicious' payments.....

'Ooo, Miss x, theres regular £40 payments for Threshers, typical behaviour for the type of people who scam credit cards'

'Er, no, those are mine actually:( '

'Oh, what about this one then, £1200 to the Priory Clinic ?'

'Yes thats mine too...lets move on shall we ?'