The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bottom end gone :(

Bog

I dunno what to do, so what you guys are saying is dont get it done at Nippon Motors?

I dont want any hassle i just want to leave my car at a garage and get it back all working fine.

I think i'll just wait till Pheonix get back to me.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Terry S

I can't see how Phoenix will quote you apart from a new bottom end as they don't deal in 2nd hand engines. They could rebuild yours but they would need to diagnos it first.

I can't see how Phoenix will quote you apart from a new bottom end as they don't deal in 2nd hand engines. They could rebuild yours but they would need to diagnos it first.

they are going to give me a qoute with a new bottom end.

Ive spoken to JPS motorsport in Milton Keynes. They've said depending on how bad it its the bottom end rebuild can cost anything from £1500-3000. They told me to do a compression check aswell. I'm gna get that done asap

I have 3 words for you: diagnose, diagnose, diagnose. :)

Get the problem diagnosed before you buy a new engine that you might not need. If you're not sufficiently capable to do the diagnosis yourself (I wouldn't be), then you need to speak to a garage or workshop whose opinion you trust.

Whatever the problem and solution is, be careful with going for a dirt-cheap option. Buy cheap, buy twice...

problem is the only way you can find out the exact extent of the damage to have the engine out and inspected which is enough outlay as it is...And with engine problems it normally means a never ending story (unless you are very lucky) if you havent run the engine much then you may be able to save the crank.

what do you guys think? New engine is the best option, or just a new bottom end?

Nippon Motors, are local to me, and deal in performance jap cars, they are saying they've got a uk engine, and will fit it for me, and have a full 6 months parts and labour warranty aswell.

I just need the thumbs up from you guys before i go ahead with it!

If they've got a uk engine, and they will supply and fit it for £1500 then its worth going for mate, in my opinion.

Are you 100% it is your bottom end though? you dont want to be laying out all this expense if its something that doesnt require a new engine.

If they've got a uk engine, and they will supply and fit it for £1500 then its worth going for mate, in my opinion.

Are you 100% it is your bottom end though? you dont want to be laying out all this expense if its something that doesnt require a new engine.

i'll get a video posted of the noise, i took it to my local backstreet garage, and he said staight away its the bottom end.

When i was looking for a new engine for the Zed i got a couple of quotes from places to put a new engine in but when i checked the warranty it was only dependent on new cam belt, waterpump (60k service) etc being fitted by them ADDED to the price thay gave me for the basic removal/fitting of new engine.

So check on this as well..

Ive spoken to JPS motorsport in Milton Keynes. They've said depending on how bad it its the bottom end rebuild can cost anything from £1500-3000. They told me to do a compression check aswell. I'm gna get that done asap

sorry mate, but as asked many times before - how do you know its deffo the bottom end thats gone?

edit: just seen the video :p

Bog,

hi mate, hope you get things sorted, as said previously with even £1,500 spent on the engine, for the price you paid i don't think you've done too badly.

I live in Brentwood which I'm sure you know is 10 mins from Romford. Give me a shout if you need anything.

good luck.

steve

P.s Welcome to the forum by the way. Hopefully your next thread will be a positive one !

A replacement UK spec engine is likely to have done many more miles than a same year JDM engine..... best bet is to swap in as low a mileage JDM engine as you can along with JDM ECU. This means airflow will be measured by MAP sensor which is better (read easier) for tuning anyways. The stuff out your old engine / off your car related to the UK spec engine and ECU can be sold on to make some money back - 550cc injectors with resistor pack should fetch about £250, turbos £200, cams say £100. AFM could be sold on too but arent in huge demand!

Cheers,

Brian.