The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bottom end gone :(

Bog

Nice one Ro :D

Bog, PM me your address and I'll send you a free oil sample kit.

Just pop some of the engine oil in it from out of the sump (drain a bit out or use a new syringe to suck it out of the dipstick tube) and post it off. I'll have a full diagnosis for you in a few days or so that'll confirm or disprove the bearings are shot.

Steve

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First things first.

You need to verify that the sound is indeed bottom end, and check the condition of the bores with a leakdown test. Do NOT run the engine in the meantime, not worth risking spreading the damage any further.

Private sales do have more risks, so the price has to reflect that.

When I bought mine I did a compression test *immediately*, my inspection was invasive and the test-drive frightening (for the seller, who was a passenger)

When it's my money, things are done my way. No way round this.

Ive found a local place, Nippon MOtors, that will supply and fit an engine for £1500, with 6 months parts and labour warranty.

Its a low mileage Jap Engine, 40000 miles on it.

Im going down to them in about half an hour.

Good luck in whatever it is that you decide. On one side you were prepared to rebuild the bottom end, and now you seem to be shopping for the cheapest engine possible.

If I was you, I would do my research before committing. You certainly dont want to buy an engine where you have no guarantee that this or something similar will happen again.

That engine sounds excellent value. If it comes with any exhaust and inlet trimmings, ypu'll have to take them off and use your existing setup. I would get a new oil and water pump fitted with any replacement engine. Also check your crank pulley as well while its off.

Guest Terry S
i'll go drop it off to Nippon Motors in the next 5 minutes. Will a Jap engine fit tho?

they seem to think it will

The engine will but they will have to change a good few parts over. Also your inlet cam will be different.

There are some gotcha's with putting a jspec engine in a UK spec car, mostly around the ECU and wiring...

If you've got a UK spec you'll have bigger injectors than a j-spec, plus they are a different impedance and so have a resistor pack wired in. The UK spec has a MAF sensor and the J-spec a MAP so the entire measurement of airflow is different. Also the UK spec has some other gubbins around emissions. You'll get slightly tamer camshafts in the J-spec as well.

So you've got some thinking to do around which bits you swap in and which you swap out, and also don't let the place that does the swap keep the old engine or any components of it :)

-Ian

Ok just spoken to Nippon Motors in barking, and they said they've got quite a few engines, of which they have a UK one aswell.

I wont hand over the money until the car is fully fixed, as its meant to be.

Plus their work will have a full 6 month parts and labour warranty.