The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bottom end gone :(

Bog

mate, its this car off half way down this thread isnt it?

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=87291&page=2

looks like it had a rebuild 30k ago apparently, and a slight bump maybe ?:(

Think the last owner must have driven it like a complete idiot for the engine to be damaged again in 30k, really bad luck mate, feel for you :(

I remember reading somewhere that you have got some rights even if you buy off a private seller? sure it says something on the 1st few pages of autotrader about it.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mate, its this car off half way down this thread isnt it?

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=87291&page=2

Think the last owner must have driven it like a complete idiot for the engine to be damaged again in 30k, really bad luck mate, feel for you :(

I remember reading somewhere that you have got some rights even if you buy off a private seller? sure it says something on the 1st few pages of autotrader about it.

yea thats it, engine going was the last thing i expected!! I knew it had a knew engine 30k miles ago, he had the reciept for it and everything. The car was HPI clear, i did the check, i noticed the front panel lining, but my friend does bodywork and said he'll just get it lined up properly.

Some engine rebuilds are better than others.....

IIRC if something is "significantly" different than described you can claim, but then it starts getting very lawyerish very fast.

guys, what does it mean when they say that the bottom end is gone?

Why does it happen?

How to avoid it happening?

what are the tell tale signs?

is it worth upgrading the components when rebuilding the engine.

Why?? Most likley some sort of oil problem. Shit oil, lack of etc.....

How to look after?? Oil Pressure. As soon as it hit's ZERO stop driving.

When rebuilding you'd expect the stock componets to be measured and checked so should be part and parcel.

Some video here of how mine was :(

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=62337&highlight=bottom+end

guys, what does it mean when they say that the bottom end is gone?

Why does it happen?

How to avoid it happening?

what are the tell tale signs?

is it worth upgrading the components when rebuilding the engine.

This would all be checked if you were having a rebuild. The crank runs on bearings when they go it all goes!

You could go through small claims court, but it would take ages. Did he give you a recipt and did it say seen as sold or something similar??

he did, but its not signed by me tho, and only i have got a copy.

have you got the reciept now if so who did it

it was done by Benchsound ltd Engine reconditioning. at the cost of £4948, it included 6 pistons, main shells, B/end shells, Full gasket set, 4 inlet vavle's, 12 echuast vavles, timing belt and few other bits.

he did, but its not signed by me tho, and only i have got a copy.

it was done by Benchsound ltd Engine reconditioning. at the cost of £4948, it included 6 pistons, main shells, B/end shells, Full gasket set, 4 inlet vavle's, 12 echuast vavles, timing belt and few other bits.

I would start with them first;)

im still surprised that he didnt notice anything unusual in the test drive. even if someone knows very little about supras, the car couldnt have sounded and felt normal.

If only it were that simple.

I know a bit about Supras and have done many miles over the years. I was still taken by surprise when the two engines I've managed to blow up did so.

Just count yourself lucky you have no experience of this. It's not always "operator error" ;)

Gutted. :( Must be heart breaking to have that happen. Bog, i supply used parts for the supra. If i can source you a low mileage engine i'll let you know and sort you a good price. All our engines are warranted. Might i suggest maybe getting one of the more 'technical members' to give it the once over to see if its definately a bottom end issue?