The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bottom end gone :(

Bog

hi

just bought my supra twin turbo today, was over the moon.

Driving it back, and the bottom end started knocking.

Car still drives, but bottom end makes the worst noise imaginable over 2000rpm.

Im screwed, this must be the worst entrance to Supra ownership ever!

Im guessing i'll need a new engine, It must be the worst feeling in the world... I could have never imagined it, after handing over £7000, and this happening on the way back.:(

I know ive been conned by the guy i bought it from, but theres nothing i can do. My brother saw how upset i was, was in tears, and said he'll pay for the rebuild, and told me not to worry about it.

Just wondering what sort of price i'll be looking to get a new engine supplied and fitted?

Its a Uk Manual Twin Turbo btw.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it was fine on the test drive! had a long 30minute test drive, down the motorway and small roads... :( Words cant describe how im feeling right now

There's nowt you could have done then just terrible luck, the seller may not have even known if it had been drivin fine previously!

You can usually pick up a replacement (second-hand) lump for around £1k. Fit it yourself if you're reasonably handy with a spanner or try to enlist the assistance of some local members if not (I'm doing exactly that this weekend - my oil pump went kaput:()

I dunno how much a decent garage would charge you mate but keep your chin up - it'll work out in the end :) :) :)

Good luck dude and I sincerely hope you get it sorted soon and reasonably cheaply :)

:(

What did the seller say when you called him bout the bottom end?

What a nitemare...:(

I didnt have the courage to even speak to him, my brother phoned him. He said its cos the way i drove it, goes to my brother i reved it to over 6k on the test drive, errrr well if the cars fully warm, whats wrong with reving it to 6k!?

I didnt have the courage to even speak to him, my brother phoned him. He said its cos the way i drove it, goes to my brother i reved it to over 6k on the test drive, errrr well if the cars fully warm, whats wrong with reving it to 6k!?

Sounds like youve been shafted :(

Might be cheaper to find an engine somewhere...

Where did you find this car? Was in the Autotrader, local paper or what? Someone here might know the seller.

Be very carefull with used engines. I've had my share of bad luck in that department too.

Guys,

If Bog gets a 2nd hand engine will she/he need a UK one or can a JDM one be converted easily? (THinking about EGR etc)

really sorry to hear about this mate :( its not a common thing to happen either. Nothing to do with the way you've driven it thats for sure!!

Where did you get it from? was it in the trader? You should be able to get an engine for 1k, as chris says. even at 8k (with the new engine) its a fairly good price for a uk manual with them being so rare.

its not red and an N reg by any chance is it?

As jake says, it may be awkward with it being a uk spec, you may need a jap ecu if you get a jap engine, maybe wiring harness too?

the car was OK during a 30 mins testdrive and then all of a sudden without any warning the bottom end goes.....how come?? surely there should some sort of a warning...

If it had already gone and the owner knew you would have heard it on the test drive. But im afraid it's just very bad luck im afraid :(

I think a rebuild is the cheapest choice tbh. If you get a 2nd hand engine you don't really know how long it's got till it goes :(

the car was OK during a 30 mins testdrive and then all of a sudden without any warning the bottom end goes.....how come?? surely there should some sort of a warning...

there was nuthing :( As far as i knew, the car wasnt smoking, not making any strange noises, nothing at all?