The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Your thoughts on replica cars?

VIL

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No idea, I stopped buying it when I realised how poor it was - do you have the ability to present a selection of pictures from the magazine so that we can share your excitement?

It's at home. I've been meaning to locate them on the net as it looks quite interesting.

And yet if you saw a BMW with an "M" series badge on it but it was a 320 diesel you'd think "what a sad twat." What if they even put on the body kit? Maybe the wheels as well (exposing the single pot sliding calipers at the back)? Still a sad twat? Or are you thinking, by this point, "that's as good as an M3, that is". And yet ironically the body kit and badge is a lot less money than it costs to make an MR2 look a bit like a Ferrari. So who is the idiot?

May as well stick Ferrari or Aston Martin badges on your Supra. Or a fake pre-recorded BOV noise that your saxo plays when you lift off the throttle. Hey, you may impress someone who doesn't know a great deal about cars... If that's why you own a car you may as well put the intercooler on the outside. That will also impress people who don't know a great deal about cars :)

-Ian

i would only buy a replica of a car like a cobra etc a calssic car with classic lines and not too far off from looking and sounding like an original.

the mr2-ferrari one is a bit poo as the engine will never sound right, it wont be wide enough and the interior will always look a bit average :(

And yet if you saw a BMW with an "M" series badge on it but it was a 320 diesel you'd think "what a sad twat." What if they even put on the body kit? Maybe the wheels as well (exposing the single pot sliding calipers at the back)? Still a sad twat? Or are you thinking, by this point, "that's as good as an M3, that is". And yet ironically the body kit and badge is a lot less money than it costs to make an MR2 look a bit like a Ferrari. So who is the idiot?

May as well stick Ferrari or Aston Martin badges on your Supra. Or a fake pre-recorded BOV noise that your saxo plays when you lift off the throttle. Hey, you may impress someone who doesn't know a great deal about cars... If that's why you own a car you may as well put the intercooler on the outside. That will also impress people who don't know a great deal about cars :)

-Ian

Made me giggle that post did but one thing - if you put an 'M' badge on a 320 diesel Beemer, the only people who will notice that it's not actually an 'M' series are people who know stuff about cars, thus the point - people who know stuff about cars generally won't be fooled by the MR2-355 conversion and thus wouldn't buy one in the first place. Also the people who don't know a lot won't give a toss whether people know it's a fake as they won't be able to tell the difference! Does that make sense? Because I've just read it back and I don't understand it :blink:

Although on a semi-serious point, you have to remember that not ALL people who drive nice/fast/interesting cars are car enthusiasts who know loads of stuff about cars. Some people just like the way they look and have a bit of money. There are plenty of people on this site (myself included) who drive a Supra and wouldn't have a clue how 99% of the workings of the car actually work!

Well, yes, it does make sense, but really it still boils down to one thing. You are lying about what you have in order to try to impress people who don't know better. Which in common pub parlance, would make the perpetrator a "bullshitter". And no-one likes a bullshitter.

I prefer the M3 that I went to the 'ring with. It had a 316i badge :)

Having said all that a friend of mine is building a GT40 replica which I can't wait to get involved in :) But then it's got a 4.6l Ford V8 in it, not a 2.0l na four pot, and he's building it from the girders upwards so I think that's allowed (much like the cobra replica mentioned above).

-Ian

Well, yes, it does make sense, but really it still boils down to one thing. You are lying about what you have in order to try to impress people who don't know better. Which in common pub parlance, would make the perpetrator a "bullshitter". And no-one likes a bullshitter.

I prefer the M3 that I went to the 'ring with. It had a 316i badge :)

Having said all that a friend of mine is building a GT40 replica which I can't wait to get involved in :) But then it's got a 4.6l Ford V8 in it, not a 2.0l na four pot, and he's building it from the girders upwards so I think that's allowed (much like the cobra replica mentioned above).

-Ian

Yeah very true, that isn't a conversion per say, that's actually a proper replica. That'd be awesome, would love to see some progress when that kicks off.

Nice work on the 316i badge by the way, love the idea. Just watching people's faces when they go, "oh it's only a 1.6" then watch it :blink: Brilliant.

i would only buy a replica of a car like a cobra etc a calssic car with classic lines and not too far off from looking and sounding like an original.

the mr2-ferrari one is a bit poo as the engine will never sound right, it wont be wide enough and the interior will always look a bit average :(

Thought you used to own a TRD replica ;)

Thought you used to own a TRD replica ;)

lol, if you can tell the difference between a TRD replica and an original one, then you are a better man than me.

or to put it another way, if you can tell the difference between a veilside replica and the real thing or any other bodykit for that matter and i dont mean a similar replica but an identical one ;)

edit: if i hadnt been honest and said it was a replica, no one would of been any the wiser as it fitted immaculately.

Seen one of these bad boys out a few months back and it was absolutely fantastic, the sound from the side exit was something special. I guess this type of replica is more than acceptable, but im not a fan of the replica ferrari's tho. They cant make you feel so great driving them.

Has anyone got one of these btw or owned a decent one in the past? Whats it like how do people react to them? http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/6056/mediaqz1.jpg

No idea, I stopped buying it when I realised how poor it was - do you have the ability to present a selection of pictures from the magazine so that we can share your excitement?

From http://www.replikit.co.uk/kits/nvmr2.htm

Can't say I like some of the shots on the site much now.

http://www.replikit.co.uk/images/nvmr2/1.jpg

http://www.replikit.co.uk/images/nvmr2/8.jpg

http://www.replikit.co.uk/images/nvmr2/10.jpg

http://www.replikit.co.uk/images/nvmr2/11.jpg

http://www.replikit.co.uk/images/nvmr2/13.jpg

those mr2 355 kit things are SHITE i can spot them a mile away. and god do i laugh. its far more satisfying imo to drive something slow looking with bags of power than something slowish that trys to look very fast.anyway i think even girls would tell the diffence when u start up the motor,my 14 year old daughter would and ive warned her about weirdos who drive such cars.