The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which cams?

JamieP

yea thats what im thinking unless people advise otherwise:)

If you've got the tubbie to support it, I would rev as high as you feel that you can without the engine letting go. Aren't you building an engine? If so, and it's done right, and your actually getting worthwhile gains from doing it, then there's nothing to stop you from having that as a base setting, and then raise it for for the occasional race type scenario. With a proper built bottom end and head, I personally think that you could get away with small blasts to 8K. But you would obviously need to realise that your engine life will be shortened considerably. But hey, everythings a trade-off. ;)

Actually, I've heard of your reputation, it will just spend it's entire life at the high setting. ;) :D

If you've got the tubbie to support it, I would rev as high as you feel that you can without the engine letting go. Aren't you building an engine? If so, and it's done right, and your actually getting worthwhile gains from doing it, then there's nothing to stop you from having that as a base setting, and then raise it for for the occasional race type scenario. With a proper built bottom end and head, I personally think that you could get away with small blasts to 8K. But you would obviously need to realise that your engine life will be shortened considerably. But hey, everythings a trade-off. ;)

Actually, I've heard of your reputation, it will just spend it's entire life at the high setting. ;) :D

Yep the engine is fully built and ill be reving to 8k.

On the old stock engine when dan was fine tunning the map on the rd i asked him to raise it to 7.5k for a couple of blasts.... the change was awesome, the T88 really came alive thats why i want a 8k rev limit;)

I haven't done any testing beyond the stock rev limit :) Well, not proper testing, anyway. I know my 256/264 seemed to tail off a bit after 6800/7000 but that could have been anything really.

Charlie likes his upped rev limit, maybe the 264 intake really helps at that point above the 256.

272s do start to come into play at that area from what I've read about over the years - depends on what you are after, but if you put up with a T88 then low down power sacrifice isn't an issue ;) A pair of 272's will give you massive breathing once you are on boost high up in the rev range.

You could try the inverse stagger 272/264 but apparently if you get it 0.5degrees in any direction off some perfect nirvana setting it's as rubbish as I found it ;)

-Ian

To confusing.. i dont know what to do:(

Ive had a good search on supraforum as they like there big tubby but no joy there.

They usually fit the widest cams they can lay their hands on, there is a move towards 280s now. Great for peak power figures I suppose. They used to pair 272s until those came out.

Oh, anything over 10mm of lift = inteference head as well, the Jun 272s and probably any 280s can do that so you have to weigh up maximum power vs your expensive built engine being minced due to a mundane snapped cambelt.

-Ian

I'm not rubbishing them or anything, I'm just saying that one of two types of JUN 272 cams have just over 10mm of lift so if the cam belt goes, the pistons stand a good chance of hitting the stuck open valves.

The HKS 272s don't have enough lift to do this.

-Ian