The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Grudge (Japanese version)

SteveR

The Grudge were originally known as 'Ju on' and sequels in Japan, they are all original Japanese movies. The Grudge and Grudge 2 are Western remakes, poorly imo, as the originals are far better.

check out the info on:

http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=ju+on

Ju On: The Grudge 2 has Noriko Sakai really good Japanese movie and dorama actress, as well as a singer for many years :love: :love:

the US did the same to Ring, totally ruined the mysticism of the originals. also the US have only made 2 of them, where the Japanese originals had three parts. Ring, Ring 2 were the main story, but then Ring 0 Birthday was made to give lots of back story. check out Yukie Nakama in the Japanese original as Sadako. Nanako Matsushima :love: :love: (one of my fav japanese actresses), makes Naomi Watts look like an amateur actress.

personally, apart from a few rare US/UK movies, i watch 99% asian movies, as they are far superior.

one of my fave movies atm is So Close with Karen Mok.

final thought, they shouldn't remake the movies from the originals, just release them at the cinema with English Subs :)

Good films there, Mr. Chilli.

One Hollywood version that I might actually go to see is The Departed. Originally called Infernal Affairs it has been getting good reviews.

the original 3 Infernal Affairs movies were excellent, Andy Lau and Tony Leung are two of the top actors. also watched the directors cut of Infernal Affairs, good also.

not sure how the US version will do, but don't think it will hit the heights of the originals, they are cult status in Asia.

i just wonder if the US version would be same as the remake of Miami Vice, take the name away (or anything known of the movie), and would it relate to the originals.

Good man, then I'll know whether to take the missus to watch it. :p

Well, saw it last night...

IMO not half as good as the first one.

In the first one, most of the film was a "build up" to the few scary bits and it worked well.

In No. 2, there's very little build up and lots of "scary" bits, although the more of them there are, the less you jump.

Started off OK with three mini skirted schoolgirls going into the spooky death house (as you do) but then the plot just got to complicated.

Not enough story and to many jumpy bits to be scary...

Although we did have a laugh at the two blokes behind us, as whenever a spooky face popped up (which was often) they jumped so hard their feet kicked the whole row of seats in front of them... followed by lots of manic popcorn crunching..:D

G :)

PS saw the trailer to SAW 3... looks gruesome !

really didn't think much to grudge atall exclude the acting which wasn't bad the film was what i'd call pants but don't get me wrong i haven't seen the jap version.

saw 3 looks nice :eyebrows: :) :cool:

really didn't think much to grudge atall exclude the acting which wasn't bad the film was what i'd call pants but don't get me wrong i haven't seen the jap version.

saw 3 looks nice :eyebrows: :) :cool:

Yeah I thought the Sarah-M-G one was a bit pants, but the Jap one was just a lot better. I've been trying to put my finger on what makes the two versions poles apart since the weekend and I'm still not sure. As much as anything I think the fact that I was having to read subtitles to know what the people were saying forced me to concentrate a bit more and get drawn-in so I was sort of 'closer' to the scares when they did happen, perhaps?

The Jap version had almost zero 'warming up' or storytelling, the whole film ws just dripping in atmospheric 'whathefudgeisgoingon' which I think puts you on edge a lot more. The almost relentless barrage of scarey sh1t that comes at you doesn't give you time to rest and recover from the last scare. e.g. I was very glad when the adverts cut in!!

Also the storyline was watered down a bit in the US remake (to be fair that's probably a good idea if the aim was to appeal to a wider audience as the Jap version was potentially tricky to follow on a couple of occasions). The more 'raw' Jap version hit you with scares more often and a little harder each time as a result, which combined with the above made it much better IMHO.

Wow, I sound like a film critic :D