The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Grudge (Japanese version)

SteveR

Just finished watching it on Film4. Even though I'd seen the Sarah-Michelle-Geller (sp?) remake a few years ago and didn't think much to it, watching the original now was f***ing scary, especially when my house started making creaky noises(!!) :scare: I must remember to burn it down in the morning, lol.

Class film, watch it alone in the dark for maximum effect, it's the only way. :D

Those type of films are excellent, we often enjoy a Tartan Asia Extreme film - The Grudge was good, along with Dark Water, The Eye, A Tale of Two Sisters, Phone etc... Good for a scare and the lack of hollywood gloss just adds to the atmosphere :)

The original "The Ring" films are good too

Good films there, Mr. Chilli.

One Hollywood version that I might actually go to see is The Departed. Originally called Infernal Affairs it has been getting good reviews.

ahhh cool, will watch out for that one then :)

I have never found any of these Jap original films scary in the slightest. I found the original 'Grudge' almost laughable.

depends what you mean by scary and what kind of film scares you. Blood and guts doesn't scare me so I don't find most Hollywood films a bit lame in that respect lol

the only notable ones I've enjoyed lately are

The remake of "texas chainsaw masacre" - that was quite good

"The Hills Have Eyes" - really enjoyed that :D

"Saw2", not bad

"The Amytivile horror" - not a bad job

and we saw the remake of "the Omen" the other week, it was soso maybe a bit of a let down tbh

depends what you mean by scary and what kind of film scares you. Blood and guts doesn't scare me so I don't find most Hollywood films a bit lame in that respect lol

the only notable ones I've enjoyed lately are

The remake of "texas chainsaw masacre" - that was quite good

"The Hills Have Eyes" - really enjoyed that :D

"Saw2", not bad

"The Amytivile horror" - not a bad job

and we saw the remake of "the Omen" the other week, it was soso maybe a bit of a let down tbh

I enjoyed all those films also. The Hills Have Eyes I thought was particularly good. :)

I still say that one of the most creepy/eerie/atmospheric film i've seen in the last few years was 'The Descent' - cracking film. :)

The Hills Have Eyes was excellent :) bought it on dvd as soon as it came out, really is disturbing though, especially when so many of the family get killed so grimly so quickly - bit of a shocker. When he is locked in the tub of body parts hehe and that mutant freak with the massive head in the special chair hehe

The descent, hmmm just realised I may not have seen that! I think we wanted to and ended up seeing some other film that was out at the time that had a similar underground theme but it was complete pants - sure that wasn't the descent so I'll have to get that on DVD

also just remembered that "creep" was quite spooky in the cinema, good surround effects for dripping water in the underground system lol

J-horror (which is what they call the Japanese horror) is fantastic. I love all the movies.

In japanese folklore and mytholog water is evil and young girls are also consider evil or dark.

I could NOT agree more with that statment :)

my two favorites The Auction and The Eye.

Watched R-Point last weekend which is ok.

I thought the descent was pants, not scary or eary or creepy or anything, just a big waste of time!!

Jap horrors are better left to the japs (although I haven't seen the SMG grudge yet).

Battle Royale is a good jap film as well, not scary so much just a really good concept!

I remember being most scared by Event Horizon, but I was only ickle at the time and watching it in a pitch black scout hut in the middle of nowhere, with my back to the window!!