The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Winter Project - 3SGTE Mini Track Car - Need Help

dandan

Ok guys,

For those of you that don't know I am a big classic mini fan with an appetite for taking cars on the track but am fed up with reliability issues from 120bhp+ A series engines.

After umming and aaahing over power train choices (honda vtec fwd, vauxhall XE fwd, Hyabusa fwd or rwd, 1UZ mid engine V8 rwd, vauxhall V6 mid engined rwd etc etc) I think I have made a sensible choice.....

My plan now is a mid/rear engined mini running the later 245bhp 3SGTE setup from a late mk2 MR2. I am planning to transplant the whole rear drivetrain, suspension and brakes into a custom modified mini pickup. A front subframe, suspension and brake transplant may also be on the cards but that is undecided at this stage.

My plan is to buy a 1994 or later crash damaged car and transplant as much as possible. My knowledge of MR2's is a little limited. What I need is as many photos (and as much information as possible) on the rear subframe, engine, box, brakes etc - the whole lot.

I have put a post on IMOC but I know there's some MR2 owners on here so...

Anything you can post up which you think might help would be great. Initially I want to see what sort of spaceframe to mount the MR2 parts (like engine/box/driveshafts/hubs/wishbones/struts and subframe) is going to be needed before I commit to buying a car.

Many thanks in advance

Dan

I'm not sure if the 1.3 Starlet motor would give me the combination or performace/reliability that I need. I figured the 2.0 litre 3SGTE would give massive reliability even when kicking out 250bhp.

Plus I want to keep the install as (relatively) simple as possible and I've pretty much settled on rwd as well. Something rwd with a complete drivetrain/susp package should make for a nice install.

Danny, it'd be great if you could take a few rough measurement for me - nice one...

Can you measure the front and rear track width please and a rough measurement from the rear axle to the gearstick please? Also the height from wheel centre to highest part of engine, approx total engine/box width (with any ancillaries), and a measure in front and behind the back axle of any part of the engine/box/diff. Just trying to get a rough idea of the space envelope needed for the package.

Any photos/info of the gear linkage would be handy if possible and can you tell me - is the clutch cable or hydraulic? I found an EPC for the MR2 but not gone through it yet in any detail.

I'm on the lookout for Toyota workshop manuals as well (just in case you hear of any for sale)

ps Did you buy thw white endless Supe?

Took a few measurements today

distance between front strut tops - 1150mm

distance between rear strut tops - 1000mm

rear axle to gearstick - 1500mm

centre of wheel to highest point in engine (coolant cap) - 600mm

engine width with ancilleries 900mm

engine/gearbox in front of rear axle - 400mm

engine/gearbox behind the rear axle - 150mm

All measurements are approximate.

Couldnt get photos of the gear linkage as it's too dark in the garage but i'll try tomorrow.

Excellent thanks Danny. Much appreciated.

Could you also measure the total width across the wheels please (front and rear) - outside of left wheel to outside of right wheel. I'm guessing it'll be around 1700mm. Also whether you're on stock wheels would be handy too.

Thanks again

No worries - all the stuff I've done on my Minis is pretty well photographed so this would be as well.

I'm thinking an NA 3SGE may be a better choice for a more linear predicatble power delivery. This is for the track so needs to be predictable and as progressive as possible on the limit.