The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Full Suspension Replacement

dandan

All,

I am at the point now where I really need to replace my current spring/damper combination. I currently have the Tein HA setup with solid pillowball type top mounts. I do not know whether some of the components are worn now or whether all HA kits ride as mine does.

The car is simply way too oversprung. I like a firm, planted setup in my cars and am not a fan of excessive bodyroll. However, my current setup is a little .... embarassing. On anything but the smoothest, flattest of roads the car hops and skips over all road imperfections. I have adjusted the damping to try to compensate but since owning the car I've not come up with a setting I like. Even on A roads or Motorways the ride can be far from ideal, twice yesterday the car nearly took off when accelerating to "motorway speeds" on a newish dual carriageway. Rises and bumps in the road really upset the balance of the car and to be honest I am not at all happy with it.

I believe the Tein HA springs are approximately 100% stiffer than stock and obviously the damping curves have been tailored to suit. In a straight line the high spring rate doesn't allow much weight transfer to the rear wheels on acceleration and grip can be a problem even on my Toyo 275-18's on a hot road.

Suspension is a very personal thing, so I would appreciate some feedback from as many of you as possible regarding your setup. If you have replaced previous dampers/springs with something different please could you state what you changed to/from and what differences you've noticed. Lots of people have told me how Manufacturer A's kit is so much better than stock, but I am changing from the Tein setup so these comments are hard to relate to. Again as much description as possible would be good.

I obviously have many options to choose from but cost is an option, although I am prepared to spend good money on quality components. I am considering CW custom setup on stock type components, Ohlins, HKS Hiper..., and AVO coilovers. After my curent Tein experience I am not really keen to fit Tein again but stand to be corrected.

Please can you give as much feedback as possible on any setups you are running. I am especially interested in ride quality over "typical" UK B roads where fast cornering is needed. I am not keen on being outcornered by other cars because I am bouncing around bends due to rock hard spring rates. Feeling like you're about to bounce of the road into a field is a by product of extreme spring rates and harsh bumpy UK roads in a state of disrepair. Nasty. Some compliance in the springs is very necessary.

I have not gone into Strut Braces or Uprated anti roll bars here, as my main priority is replacement of the HA kit, initially.

Cheers guys...

hi, im using stock j spec springs, and kyb adjustable shocks all round,on softest settings,cornering,body roll,traction,change of direction,at any speed is fabulous,but.........you feel every pot hole,divot,stone,even the joints of tar between concrete sections of road,go-cart like performance even on undulating road surface,but not a luxury ride ,probably as good or better handling than my m3( no mean feat),but no feed back from chassis of when its going to let go at the limits-perhaps i havent got close enough to that point-i need a track day and a few "offs" to establish limits and try harder settings-to summerise handling cannot be bettered,ride quality poor -maybe the lardy uk springs would give a more comfy ride but at the expense of outright handling,cant comment i havent tried this combo,now all ive got to do is convince the D.O.T to resurface the whole of the uk road network:)

I see everyone has their own preference, as expected. CW's, HKS, JIC, Kyb etc etc...nobody mentioned anything about Tein pats, any particular reason?

Terry I take it the JIC are not double adjustable for damping? On any given setting, how does it ride over typical harsh british roads? Would you be confdent chasing something like a WRX or Boxster round short twisty road sections over rough tarmac and a few potholes to really upset things?

I have no problem with a firm ride, but I hate the feeling of one corner (or the rear as a pair!) losing contact with the road purely because of the combination of really high spring rate and bumps and undulations in the road....mid corner!

Any news on the HKS setup Paul? What did you have on the car before?

How about Ian C's Ohlins setup, any chance of some feedback Ian?

I believe Paul Whiffin is a fan of the track day events, Paul if you're reading this any chance of some feedback on current spec and road manners?

Cheers all,

Dan

Guest Terry S

Dan did you look at the FLT A2's on the link???http://www.jic-magic.com/productsjic_susp_flta2.htm

These are sometimes rebadged as Ohlins in Japan.

If brought from the States they are revalved and suit our roads much better. Considering they come with pillow balls the ride is sublime comparedto the HKS and Teins I have tried.

I would be more than happy chasing any car around twistys with these and a decent set of ARB's installed.

I certainly did Terry, yes. They look very impressive.

Any idea on UK distributors for these? How about cost?

I think if I go with any kit with solid top mounts then I'll have to fit pair of strut braces, to save on my bodyshell more than anything else.

Do you currently have these JIC's on your car? What ARB's are you running and have you fitted any strut braces?

Guest Terry S

I had these on the Purple car and the ride was no worse than Billies & Eibachs. I will stick them on this one when funds allow.

I had whiteline ARB's and the were excellent. On the car for 2 years without a hitch. Much heavier than stock though.

HTH

After initial fears that these (the HKS system) would prove very harsh i am very happy with the feel

Not too hectic - and it feels like it's stuck down

They need adjusting in the rears at present - and the setup balancing / aligning once happy with settings

:thumbs: