The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A few (dumb) questions!!

JamesArup

Righty ... after a day of driving and looking under the bonnet, I have a list of questions .. bear with me, they are probably all really n00b :innocent:

Question 1: I'm sure I need new brake pads. I've had to do some 'emergency' stops recenty, and it didn't really stop! Also, light braking produces some hideous (and embarassing) squealing! Can anyone confirm once and for all what brakes I have though from these pics. I'm sure the fronts are UK and rears are J-Spec. If this is the case, does anyone sell brake pads that are UK fronts and J-Spec rear .... or will I have to buy a whole set of UK pads, and a set of J-Spec ones?

Fronts Rears

Question 2: Looking into the engine bay on the drivers' side (over the top of the VIN plate etc, and I see THIS down under the main 'bulk' of the engine. Firstly, what is it? And secondly, should I be worried about that white stuff ... and does it look like it isn't quite lined up right?

Question 3: After a drive of about 20 mins, and then another 15 mins or so going up the ramps in a multistorey carpark (= lots of cutch usage), the clutch pedal started to make some really loud creaking/squeaking noises!! So much so that I could easily hear it outside the car with the window down, and so could passers-by who seemed to look at the car everytime I pushed the clutch!! Is this normal. As I said, it only seems to be really bad once the car has been used a bit? My old car did this for a little while until one day .... BANG, there goes the clutch!!

Thanks for putting up with my dumb questions :twak:

Cheers, J

No.1

Fronts = UK

Rears = Haven't got a clue.

You tend to buy brake pads for the front and rear seperately, so you should have no probs.

No.2

That white stuff looks like exhaust putty, you've obviously either just had a de-cat or you've had the exhaust off for some resaon, as you have the 1st cat replacement pipe (Looks like a Chris Wilson one to me)

No. 3

Someone else can answer.....

Ben..

Cheers guys!

The rear brakes are much smaller than the fronts, which is why I assumed they were J-Spec ... but having said that, I have never seen UK rear brakes so that would be cool if it was right!

Soonto'HAS'supe - Hahah! I feel REALLY stoopid now! You are spot on, I have just had both CAT's out (couple of months ago), and that is a CW pipe, yes :p

Cheers, James :cool:

I think with your last question it may just need a bit of WD40 squirted onto a linkage or hinge. Mine is squeeking similar but not as noisy as what you're describing. It sounds to me like mine just needs a bit of oil on the clutch pedal hinge.

Its a hydraulic clutch so there's no worry of cables snapping.

Maybe someone else has another suggestion on this one?

Yeah .... both front and rear disks look pretty much exactly the same diameter (just from looking at them). The rears look like they have a slightly smaller surface area than the fronts (you can see that quite clearly in the pics in my original post) ... but that might just be becuase the pads don't touch as much of the disk?

UK's all round it seems ... nice!!! Found HKS coilovers on there when I first got it too, which is nice :p :p

Cheers, J :cool:

3. Do you know what clutch/flywheel you have in the car. Some aftermarket lightened flywheels/clutches can cause the noises you decsribe. My TRD clutch/flywheel can make some really horrible gratting noises when being engaged, especially on steep hill starts.

Alternatively it could be a bearing that is going, best to get it an expert to diagnose if there is a problem.

I have no idea what clutch/flywheel is in there! I assume it is standard, but then there are loads of non-standard parts on the car too! I guess there is no way to find out unless I physically get the clutch out??

I did spray a little WD40 on the pedal and movement, and it did seem to cure it. That was a bit weird though as the noise really sounded like it was coming from under the car in the engine bay?

Cheers, J :thumbs:

You need to reach under the car from the passenger side, where there is a little rubber bootee on the side of the gearbox. It has a square hole in it. Spray some grease in there and the squeaking will stop...

...for a few months