The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Meshing up the Front

Vaughany

Hi everyone

I was thinking about put some mesh in my front bumper to cover the large holes etc. I have a CW SMIC instead of a FMIC so I thought this would brighten up the front abit.

However by doing this would I be noticeably restricting the airflow to the Radiator and the intercooler. Please give me some advice on this.

Many thanks

Originally posted by JamesG

Don't know how much difference it actually makes. But, if it's a windy day, you don't shield yourself from the wind by standing behind a mesh fence :)

James.

Class, never actually thought of it like that. :p :D

Terry

What do you mean by Free area of Mesh. I suppose your the man to ask reference meshing up the front taking into account your history in modding supras. It should'nt have any adverse effects on air flow to the radiator and Intercooler should it.

I was hoping that the mesh would also help protect these from stones etc whilst also looking a bit better. Do you agree?

Guest Terry S

Yes, any mesh, like any grille will have a free area which is a percentage of fully open. You want the highest free area % possible. Too low and it will affect cooling. It's a good Idea to use mesh, just get the best you can.

Guest Terry S

Leon found some that they use for EVO's. They also sell half decent stuff in big Halfrauds, not sure if the sheet is big enough for a Supra though

Originally posted by dude

Try this lot the stainless is the bussiness

http://www.espdesign.co.uk/default.asp

Dude:flame Dev

Funny, I got mine from them a year back, stainless woven.

Ideal as it stays bright and is lots tougher than ali.

Bit pricey, about £60 for enough to do a standard front.

The hole size is perfect too with their stainless, no issues with overheating.

Paul

PS, totally off topic but Dude, can you still get hold of those oil filter removal 'caps' that go on socket wrenches? I can get hold of a set but only want the Supra size one.

PS, totally off topic but Dude, can you still get hold of those oil filter removal 'caps' that go on socket wrenches? I can get hold of a set but only want the Supra size one.

Yes mate , let me know if you want one :innocent:

Originally posted by dude

Yes mate , let me know if you want one :innocent:

PM'd ya mate :)

Originally posted by Syed Shah

Terry, I had Leon spray my mesh black, simpler than trying to find black mesh. Looks nice on a black car IMHO.

Does it not chip from the stones and where the paint has come off show silver/ali in colour ?

This kind of put me off.

Yes, it has got has got one small part where the paint is chipped, must have been a big stone, becuase it damaged the mesh, glad I had it, as it would have ruined the IC.

Solution: Spray it twice, and add a few clear coats on it, should stop stone chips. :)

Originally posted by Syed Shah

Yes, it has got has got one small part where the paint is chipped, must have been a big stone, becuase it damaged the mesh, glad I had it, as it would have ruined the IC.

Solution: Spray it twice, and add a few clear coats on it, should stop stone chips. :)

solution: spray it twice with black stone chip paint:)