The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Running Lean - SAFC-2 and 550 Injectors - NB::Chris Wilson

Sheefa

Hi all,

Right, I have the AEM gauge and it holds between 11-14 but when I put my foot down goes Red at about 14-16. Sometimes it goes off the scale after I take my foot off the accelerator for a bit but comes back on when I put my foot down again.

Now the guy I bought it off said that he was going to have fitted a SAFC-2 and 500 Injectors? I'm not sure if I'm honest if this has been done as I'm sh*t with cars. :rolleyes:

I'm also losing boost but think thats due to a damaged intercooler as boost wont go above 0.75.

Is there anyway for me to check this without unbolting things etc and could this be the cause of the 'lean' problem? Any other advice?:search:

Chris, can you please check this when I drop my car off to you mate? ;)

Thanks all hoping you can help.

He's saying the AFRs are reading 14-16 .. when "he puts his foot down."

But the stock ECU on a TT - isn't going come out of closed loop till above 4k.

More information required I think

oops yep, just reread that. As Christian says, more info required. Is it a momentary blip to 16 or is it constant?

Lee and Clarkey, cheers.

It's the pipe thats damaged - well the silicone on the intercooler actually but I had to drive earlier. There must be a strong boost leak.

This is besides the point though as the AFR has always done this. What other info do you need guys? Hybrid Stage 3 turbos, unsure whether it has uprated fuel pump, Blitz boost controller, Fully decatted HKS Superdragger, but as I said, don't know if it has SAFC fitted or injectors as the guy sold it to me didn't elaborate. ;)

Lee and Clarkey, cheers.

It's the pipe thats damaged - well the silicone on the intercooler actually but I had to drive earlier. There must be a strong boost leak.

This is besides the point though as the AFR has always done this. What other info do you need guys? Hybrid Stage 3 turbos, unsure whether it has uprated fuel pump, Blitz boost controller, Fully decatted HKS Superdragger, but as I said, don't know if it has SAFC fitted or injectors as the guy sold it to me didn't elaborate. ;)

You will know if you have an SAFC fitted as it will either be on the dashborad or in the glovebox. It has a visual display on it so will be mounted somewhere you can get easy access to it

It's actually a blip on the 15-16 range for about 3-4 secs, but as I said it ALWAYS hits this level when I put my foot down and people have been saying it should swing the other way to low 11's.

I'm taking the car to Chris but wondered if it's safe to do so at present. A little bit scared to be honest. Had the car 5 weeks, paid out £2,000 and this could be the next 2k. Lord give me strength!

Are you saying that - after 4k RPM on WOT - it still's 14-16's ?

If that's true, then I'd keep off boost! If the AFRs bounce between 14-15 on cruise - then that's fine.

I would've thought a leaky IC wouldn't cause the car to run lean - I would've thought the opposite.

Fuel pump or stock FPR failing perhaps ?

When you move the accelerator down, you initiate "tip-in" or "acceleration pump". This is an extra dose of fuel to deal with the sudden extra influx of air. The amount injected depends on how much you've moved the throttle. Slight movements and it may just stay in closed loop. Mash the throttle to the floor and it'll probably hit the 11's. What it shouldn't do it go to 15's!

On liftoff it's perfectly normal for it to swing rich then lean if you were accelerating, or just lean if you were cruising.

-Ian

Could someone explain to me how you feel if the car is running rich or lean.

Something says to me this have nothing to do with money =)

You can't feel it except at the extremes. Super rich means the mixture doesn't ignite and you get hesitation and misfires. Super lean you get a big power dropoff when your pistons dissolve due to detonation :)

-Ian

I believe it has an uprated fuel pump and once again yes clarkey mate, put my foot down and IT GOES HIGHER into the 14,15,16s pal. Clearly I don't want to fry my car.

Ahh cheers anyway, hopefully Chris Wilson will figure it out. ;)

If it's misfiring due to whatever you will see the gauge read weak, even though ther's a huge amount of unburnt fuel knocking around, it's just an idiosyncracy of wide band O2 gauges.

So what is the gauge you have to get in order to see if you run rich or lean, sound like an very important thing to monitor.

I have orderd Boost gauge, and will get an EGT gauge so far.

Sorry for the hijack.

AEM UEGO with Bosch wideband lambda sensor.

I have one (which will be nice when it's sensor is installed)