The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rattle from under car

Paul R

Hi,

I noticed today when the car was idling after I had driven it back from work that there was a rattling noise.

I got out and had a look around. When I listened near the wheel arch I could hear the noise the loudest. I think it's coming from underneath the car.

Any ideas what this is? could it be the fly wheel?

Paul.

Ohh ohohh....I like that cat idea! that hadnt occured to me!

that gives me a bloody good excuse to get the first cat off and to make my car cat free!!

I'll just tell my girlfriend that it needed to be done as it was broken! that way I get no earache for spending my own money.

Oh hang on....I can spend my own money on what I like!! :D:D

Paul.

I've had my flywheel and clutch replaced and it still rattles when i switch the engine off, and also when i reverse slightly....wonder what that could be?

Anyone?

Also, when people say 6 speeds have clunky gearbox's, how do you mean clunky? I just want to compare mine.

Paul

Clunky as in it feels heavy and not just a case of aim for a gear but be precise where you direct the shift stick. 1st gear usually feels the 'worst' (not sure if thats the right word as I like the heavy feel of the 6-speed box).

Yeah, a rattling flywheel is common when turning off the engine, it should dissapear if you put in the clutch then turn off engine. Reverse gear is always noisy and once again a rattling noise is not uncommon. But if the flywheel is rattling when the engine is idling there may be a problem, but you may need a second opinion on this.

Hi mate, sounds the same as mine. I've had the flywheel changed aswell as the clutch but it still made the slight noise when reversing but if this is normal thats ok :) Also having just changed the flywheel i thought the rattle when you turn off the engine would go but it's still there, not loud at all, but before my flywheel was changed it made a rattle when it was idling so i'm glad it got changed now.

Thanks for the info,

Paul

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by BigMoistyturbo

Just did a search for arattles and mine has this. If I dip the clutch its silent. If not it rattles quite loudly. I've just had a new clutch!

In reverse the sound is unbearably loud....any ideas?

Its too loud to just leave!

clutch release bearing sounds as it has gone, it should have been dun when the cluch was apart. if new one was fitted maby it was not lubricated up!!.. had this fault on manny a car, most old cars you can hear them all the time, but one they start to go they get realy loud..

but you never no I may be rong, take it to a local garage and get it looked at,

if you had the cluch fitted by a garage take it there and tell them to fix it, as it could be there fault!!!!

hope this helps

I have had a horrible sounding resonating row at low revs

Found out there are thin sheet metal heat deflectors around the CAT and downpipe on the exhaust. These resonate when a bit of rust sets in or if you bottom it out on a ramp the CAT heat deflector can get damaged.

Solution: Ripped the CAT heat deflector off and bent the Downpipe heat deflector. Problem sorted:innocent:

Paul

• 1 year later...

This post has made me feel a little better.

I have the rattle when I turn it off and also in reverse. But only when hot, if I have a quick 5-10 min run, it doesn't.

Also when I'm trying to gently move in traffic, I sometimes get a 'donk' when I accellerate from a very slow speed (Not WOT, but gently acceleration).

Thanks again to this great site...

Paul.